my 55g reef

bace

well there's nothing special really about it.

flow is hydor koralias: 1,2 and a nano

48 Inch 4x54 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture W/ 4 Lunar LEDs

3g HoB CPR refugium

2 eheim classic 2213s filtration

I'd like to add a sump but living on the third floor of an apartment building I'm concerned enough about weight as it is... and I'd need to alter my stand.

1 hippo tang

1 yellow tang

1 christmas wrasse

1yellow tail damsel (he was the one whom cycled the tank and just kept him)

2 periculas

1 coral beauty

1 watchmen goby who has a pistol roommate

1 sally lightfoot crab

1 emerald crab

1 thorny pink cucumber

1 maxima clam

some zoas, torches, xenia, kenya tree, ricordias,

snails and hermits

014.jpg

017.jpg

013.jpg

010.jpg

007.jpg

005.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

too many pictures?

Sweet! I love that Clam' date=' and thats a really nice BIG frogspawn, really cool:eek:....Love the Zoanthids too...:D Oh yeah...Welcome to the Forum![/quote']

thank you. it is big.. and that's only like 2/3rds of it. my friend gave it to me because it out grew his tank. I love the clam I've had it for probably like 6 months now and enjoy watching the (slow) new growth. I really want to add a lot more Rock but a little low on funds right now. DOH!

I'd love some suggestions if anyone feels like offering any.

I guess I owe my boss an apology it wasn't him who posted the messages I edited out it was a co-worker (flame)

........ I really want to add a lot more Rock but a little low on funds right now. DOH!

I'd love some suggestions if anyone feels like offering any.

I'll take a closer look and see if there are any more suggestions however I can address the rock right now. For rock you can save a lot by making your own and while you can tell which stuff is DIY when you look close at first glance it looks like any other live rock. The only catch is that it takes anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months to make it. (I started putting mine in the tank one rock at a time each week after 6 weeks) The cost to get a batch started can be as low as around $25 using regular play sand. For another $20 or so you can use white sand instead which is a bit better. This will make 80 to 100 lbs. worth. and you will have extra cement left over. Run a search for DIY live rock and check out some of the articles on it. If you want to give it a shot and want to use white calcium carbonate sand let me know. (I can give you a great deal on it)

I'll take a closer look and see if there are any more suggestions however I can address the rock right now. For rock you can save a lot by making your own and while you can tell which stuff is DIY when you look close at first glance it looks like any other live rock. The only catch is that it takes anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months to make it. (I started putting mine in the tank one rock at a time each week after 6 weeks) The cost to get a batch started can be as low as around $25 using regular play sand. For another $20 or so you can use white sand instead which is a bit better. This will make 80 to 100 lbs. worth. and you will have extra cement left over. Run a search for DIY live rock and check out some of the articles on it. If you want to give it a shot and want to use white calcium carbonate sand let me know. (I can give you a great deal on it)

well I've look a little bit into the DIY rock and it seems like a great idea and I figure that after algae growth it will nearly look just like real LR. I'm just not so sure I'd be able to work with the cement in my apartment .... ?

well I've look a little bit into the DIY rock and it seems like a great idea and I figure that after algae growth it will nearly look just like real LR. I'm just not so sure I'd be able to work with the cement in my apartment .... ?

I may not have any more room than you do. I did mine in the bathtub so any mess could be washed down the drain. Kind of a pain to do but worth it in the end. The biggest problem would be that you need a large tote or something to soak the rocks in for several weeks. (At the time I had an old 55g tank sitting here that I used)

I may not have any more room than you do. I did mine in the bathtub so any mess could be washed down the drain. Kind of a pain to do but worth it in the end. The biggest problem would be that you need a large tote or something to soak the rocks in for several weeks. (At the time I had an old 55g tank sitting here that I used)

I like the bath tub idea. I don't however, have anything to soak them in. Perhaps I'll try to talk my brother into doing a batch at his house. He hates practically all the rock in his 29g reef. I'm trying to get him to check out the boards here as he knows less then I do about this stuff.(laugh)

• 3 months later...

a few more recent pictures.

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00083.jpg

DSC00085.jpg

the recodia had been almost taken out when I had an anemone there was only a tiny bit left of these. I used to have one more color... oh well

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

My first real attempt at SPS. had them a couple weeks now and they seem to be doing

well

DSC00087.jpg

hasn't changed to much sense the group buy but I think the color has gotten a little bluer.