question about overflows

culp686

so i have our 90 running right now to check my plumbing skills and i am noticing alot of splash when the water drops into the overflow. it is all built into the tank and it has a 1 inch stand pipe in it. the person that i got the tank from drilled a bunch of small holes in the pipe from the bottom to the top and i think this is why i have so much noise. so my question is, how do i quiet it down? i thought about putting sponges in the box to stop the splash, but that would only be a temp. fix. looking for ideas please.

I think you have too many holes that allow the water to drop down to far is what it sounds like. If this is the case you can try and plug the lower ones and see if you can get the water to remain higher up in the overflow. If that works I would start thinking of replacing the stand pipe with the correct type for a permanent fix.

I cant remember what the names of the two types of stand pipes are called.

i dont think there is enough room to get a good enough pic. its kind of tight in there. maybe i can paint a better picture. it is a standard 1" bulkhead coming through the bottom of the tank. it has a piece of pvc running up to about 3" from the top of the tank. the pvc has what looks to be about 3/16" holes drilled through it from about 1" up from the bulkhead almost all the way to the top. i think steve is on the right track. i have a piece of 1 1/4" id clear tubing that, when the tubing warms up a little, i am going to try and slip over the pvc to cover the holes up. my next question would be,if that works, would you suggest a gurglebuster on the top. i only have about 3" to allow water to flow out.

slice the clear tube on one side top to bottom and "wrap the tube" for easier install, or stop by a stereo install place and get some wiring conduit or black wire wrap. It's split already, cheap and you wouldn't ruin a good piece of clear tube until you tested it with the cheap wire wrap.

i think i will split the tubing. i was planning on just trying to slip it over but i dont want to push to hard and bust the bulkhead. the good thing is i am only testing with fresh water right now so if it comes down to it, i can always drain it and pull the bulkhead to replace it if i have to.

Is it a single drain?

Also you may be able to just pull up on it to pull it out of the bulkhead. Normally the plumbing inside the tank isn't glued just for this reason. If you can pull it out then you can just replace it with another piece. Then look at one of the overflow types to see which one will work best for you. I prefer the herbie overflow but it requires a backup drain which it doesn't sound like you have.

well, i have been trying for the last 5 minutes to pull the pipe out and it looks like it is glued. i split the tubing and slipped it over the pipe. i will turn it all back on tomorrow and see how it does. if it doesnt help, i will probably just crawl back undernieth the stand and replace the bulkhead. hey rick, where do you find the different types of overflows.

well' date=' i have been trying for the last 5 minutes to pull the pipe out and it looks like it is glued. i split the tubing and slipped it over the pipe. i will turn it all back on tomorrow and see how it does. if it doesnt help, i will probably just crawl back undernieth the stand and replace the bulkhead. hey rick, where do you find the different types of overflows.[/quote']

So you will know where to find the link later:

Go to the General Discussion and find the thread right at the top labeled

Everyone Can Help, This Means You.

You will find a bunch of useful links all of us have shared with each other. In post #9 there is a link to a forum where there was an extensive discussion that shows the different overflow types.

Here is a link to the discussion:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69372

Note that the herbie is not discussed at first. It starts around the fourth or fifth page.

ok. so i came home and jumped right into fixing this problem. i looked at it for a few minutes and it clicked. i just happened to have a 4 foot piece of 1 1/2" pipe laying around so i cut a piece that is about 3" below the stand pipe and low and behold, the water filled up right to the top. no more 15" waterfall effect. i didn't even have to adjust the flow any. it runs right over the 1 1/2" and flows through the drilled holes. and if the holes get plugged, i still have the top of the 1" wide open.