Pro's and Con's of closed loop

CA2OR

My Reeflo Dart makes less noise than my skimmer' date=' and is very energy efficient. My 6 bulb t-5, skimmer, heater and pump run on 14 amps.[/quote']

If it's stated in amps it doesn't sound like much. 1540 Watts is a much more impressive figure which is what 14 amps uses on 110 volts.

My Reeflo Dart makes less noise than my skimmer' date=' and is very energy efficient. My 6 bulb t-5, skimmer, heater and pump run on 14 amps.[/quote']

Comparing apples to oranges. Skimmer pump probably has a needlewheel and air intake, of coarse its going to be louder, its chopping water and injecting air.

I am starting to get indecisive again

FWIW, I now have 2 extra pumps here that I could use and my new tank is set up already for a closed loop. I still plugged them yesterday. I can always go back later and plumb it and pull the plugs back out. (Can be done even with water in it) I doubt it will ever happen though. I'll probably just watch for a good deal on a Vortech.

I will not be buying a Vortech. I know....I know....all of you are going to disagree....but I have seen the asking price and keep thinking to myself.....Korellia? sorry guys....but no Vtech for me....I don't like honda's.....I'ma BMW kinda guy....

Note: I will not be buying a new one. I missed a deal on one last year because I didn't know what a deal it was ($200 for an MP40 if I recall right). That's the kind of deal I'll be watching for. Until then I'll be using Koralias and an SEIO plus the SCWD.

Comparing apples to oranges. Skimmer pump probably has a needlewheel and air intake' date=' of coarse its going to be louder, its chopping water and injecting air.[/quote']

The point being....no matter what fruit is your flavor...is that the pump is quiet. My tank sits between my living room and dining room and I could sleep next to it.

I will not be buying a Vortech. I know....I know....all of you are going to disagree....but I have seen the asking price and keep thinking to myself.....Korellia? sorry guys....but no Vtech for me....I don't like honda's.....I'ma BMW kinda guy....

I'm guessing that I read about 19 out of 20 people who have them and say they would never go back to anything else. Lots of stories about people replacing 1, 2 or even 3 other powerheads with a single Vortech and getting BETTER results with LESS equipment.

Ryan at Nano Reef will have the best prices for a Vortech that still has the full manf. warranty.

The point being....no matter what fruit is your flavor...is that the pump is quiet. My tank sits between my living room and dining room and I could sleep next to it.

agreed, my tiny might is very quiet as well, my skimmer is probably louder than it. my original point was that most internal return pumps are quieter than external pumps, which would exclude skimmers.