Bug bombs and open top fish tanks

NoobtoSalt

So I don't really have a big issue in the house with fleas like most people have this year but in the past few weeks I've gotten a lot of little nats in the kitchen and want to rid the house of them. I used to use bug bombs at least once or twice a year but now that I have an open top fish tank I wanted to see what others have done (covers, etc.)

I can cover the tank for the day but was a little unsure about the sump being open underneath the tank as well. Any help would be great!

Thanks!

it sucks in air bud.

DOH! Wow. I can't believe I asked that....(laugh)

i personally will never use a spray chemical in my house with $1000's invested sitting in the same room. no thanks' date=' i'll come up with an alternative method.[/quote']

That's why I asked before I did it. I wasn't about to loose more stuff out of my tank. This has been a bad month and a half already....

Take a jar and fill it with sweet vinegar. Then cover it with plastic wrap. Pop some holes with a toothpick. Instant knat catcher.

My wife got all excited to hear about this. I hope it works. She just made it up.

I have two dogs and a lot of yard space... I was wondering about bombing my house for fleas last year. I had a bad out break. Decided to solve organically. As far as the knats. I use apple cider vinegar and dish soap. In a small dish on the window sill. As for the fleas I put cedar chips in the dogs beds and vacuum the floors with flea collars in the bag/collection cup. I also put some more garlic in the dogs food. I agree with no caustic chemicals in the air that feeds all my precious wet pets. Because if you have to remove the dogs that transport the fleas. You should remove all the animals in the exposed radius. Just my two cents

Never had any problem with any of our tanks using the powder and we have tanks at ground level. You just leave the powder on the floor for 24 hours and then vaccuum.

I sell the flea powder at my work. There are also sprays you can use (that are eco-friendly) because sometimes the fleas will just run under the floor boards as well. Wasn't too worried about them just these dumb nats...(laugh). But I'm guessing your replying to the above posts. This has been one of the worst flea seasons in recent time around here. Thankfully were almost done with it.

If this doesn't work I hope we can come up with something else otherwise I'm going to have to deal with the boss!!!!(wife)

I have two dogs and a lot of yard space... I was wondering about bombing my house for fleas last year. I had a bad out break. Decided to solve organically. As far as the knats. I use apple cider vinegar and dish soap. In a small dish on the window sill. As for the fleas I put cedar chips in the dogs beds and vacuum the floors with flea collars in the bag/collection cup. I also put some more garlic in the dogs food. I agree with no caustic chemicals in the air that feeds all my precious wet pets. Because if you have to remove the dogs that transport the fleas. You should remove all the animals in the exposed radius. Just my two cents

I had never heard about using flea collars in the vaccum until a customer told me about it the other day. Sounds like an old school trick but could definately do the job. They don't do very well on the dogs but If all your doing is sucking them up why not! If I have issues with fleas again I think I'm going to try that idea.