DIY Skimmer

andy

Well, my DIY skimmer has been up and running for a while now so I guess it's safe to post about it (scary)

Video of it in action here.

Construction:

IMG_5000.JPG

Carefully drilling holes for the Uni-seals in the 6" extruded acrylic tube. Cast acrylic is said to be much better than extruded, but is more expensive. I did run into a small-ish problem that I might not have if I had sprung for cast, but overall I'm satisfied.

IMG_5002.JPG

Holes drilled. Upper hole for the input, lower two for the needlewheel recirculating pump drain and return. Drain hole off to the side.

IMG_5003.JPG

Uni-seals installed.

IMG_5004.JPG

Gluing the tube to the base.

IMG_5005.JPG

And what do we glue acrylic with? ;-)

IMG_5006.JPG

Coming together...

IMG_5010.JPG

The drain pipe with ball joint.

IMG_5011.JPG

The template I made for the top, and the final product. The pointy end will get drilled for the output pipe vent tube.

IMG_5016.JPG

I 'borrowed' the neck and collection tube off of my Berlin skimmer. I plan on making a replacement once the weather warms up a bit, garage is too chilly now :-(

IMG_5018.JPG

Initially, I glued the Berlin neck down with cyano-acrylate (superglue) but it didn't seal so I filleted it with epoxy putty.

IMG_5019.JPG

Off to the router/shaper table!

IMG_5021.JPG

Routed the neck, nice and even.

IMG_5022.JPG

Assembled, looking a bit goofy with it's little Berlin pin-head collection cup.

IMG_5025.JPG

I started off with only 6 nylon wingnut/bolts and no gasket. I had to double the number of bolts and cut a custom gasket to fit, bloody leaks.

IMG_5026.JPG

Here's the maybe-extruded-acrylic-problem I had. When pushing the PVC through the lower uni-seal, the bottom cracked. I wanted to cry. Nothing a bit of epoxy putty couldn't fix, though.

IMG_5031.JPG

All assembled, with the PCI 2400 needlewheel pump connected. The gee-gaw on the pump is an acrylic bracket I had to build to hold the pump together after I broke the tabs off the cheap plastic impeller shroud. The gee-gaw later broke, acrylic doesn't resist the stress of flexing particularly well.

IMG_5160.JPG

Installed and running, with a fancy new OceanRunner 2700 Needlewheel pump replacing the annoying PCI pump.

IMG_5161.JPG

Dry skimming on the very first night

IMG_51451.JPG

First skimmate -- dark and surprisingly not-nasty-smelling. Tastes great, less filling!

Next up? MESHWHEEL!!

There has to be a little adventure in any DIY or it wouldn't be DIY, right? :) The funny thing about the extruded vs. cast debate is that both my Korallin reactor and my AquaC skimmer are made with extruded and I don't recall any major issues with product reliability over the years. Cast is undoubtedly a better material in many regards and a mass-produced product favoring the cheaper of the two offers no surprise... but I say if you can work the cheaper material (even with a little crying :) ) why not use it in low pressure situations like this?

• 2 months later...

Skimmer v1.5

I got sick of that nasty Berlin neck and cup, so I took a stab at heat-forming my own tapered neck. I think it turned out okay for a first try:

skimmer_new_neck.jpg

The riser is too tall, I'll have to shorten it an inch or so. This skimmer itself has a few fundamental design and build flaws, I think it's time to start from scratch on v2.0 (whistle)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I started off with only 6 nylon wingnut/bolts and no gasket. I had to double the number of bolts and cut a custom gasket to fit, bloody leaks.

Just an idea - you can use an "O" ring for a better seal. Just rout a small "ledge" for the "O" ring then put the top on and it's sealed. I'll try and post a pix as that will be eaiser to understand.

Another idea, to use 3/8" material for the bottom of the flange, then you can just "tap" threads for thumb screws.