Adjustable light stand

kenf729

Well I created an adjustable light stand for my 48" odessey light...

let me start off with this...first it cost less than 20 bucks and took about 1 hour to build.

front view...

P9120179.jpg

Ok, if your still interested here is what I used...

I bought a piece of 1/2 conduit (came in 10 foot piece) I think it cost about 2 bucks. then I bought 4, 1/2 inch couplers again about 2 bucks apiece, there is a slight ridge in the middle, using my dremmel I ground down the ridge where it would slide freely on the conduit. next I bought 4 half moon brackets about .70 apiece. see pictures...

I then cut the conduit in half making two 5 foot pieces. slide two couplers on the conduit usinge the half moon brackets mount to the side of your stand, note the couplers have 2 set screws to adjust the height.

next I had 6 'S' hooks, bought some chain and cut to about 4 chain links per side. I used an S hook to slip into the vent of the light another S hook into the top of the condiut, done on both sides.

more pictures:

mounting the conduit to side of stand...

P9120177.jpg

side view of light...

P9120178.jpg

Just a note I can lift the light about 18 inches high, plenty of room to work on the rocks...

My next step is removing everything and painting black to match the stand, if you like any other steps or help fell free to PM me...

Ken

• Like 1

I used some of the same principals on my main tank at school. I used conduit and bent it at a 90 degree angle. Anchored the end on the base of the stand. Used chain to attach the lights at the bend. I can swing the lights away from the tank when I want to work inside the tank. The whole light system pivots from the base. I stole the idea from the Smann!