40b Frag tank Build

BrianB

So after adding some more live rock etc I am really liking the look of metal halides. This is my first setup with halides and I love the shimmer effect but the light doesn't seem very bright. Maybe I have them hung too high. Currently they are 15 inches from the water surface is that too high? The light is a 250 watt se no name 14k bulb with a PFO pendant. Any help comments welcome.

SO it has been up for about a week or so. And I am already hating a few things and may break down and redo a couple things. First is the overflow, in itself it's not bad but I don't think it does a good enough job skimming the stuff from the surface. I was thinking that if I drilled the tank the surface skimming would improve. The second thing I am hating is the sump, it's too tall for the stand makes it really hard to get in there and do anything on. It's like 20 inches high which gives me like 2 inches to work in. I am thinking about picking up a 20L and using that as a sump. That will give me a extra 6 inches to work with under the tank and I will have enough room to add a skimmer if I choose later.

I don't mind doing top offs, I already have to do about half a gallon a day now. But the height makes it a pain to do simple things like change out a filter sock. And forget about a skimmer I made the stand too low I only have about 20 inches from bottom of sump to top of the stand. I did move the light down quite a bit last week it's around 8 inches inches over the water now. As far as drilling I have drilled a tank before I just had the overflow laying around and decided to use what I had. Now I don't know that I wanna break everything down to drill. :(

Is that K1 going in this tank? If so you can probably get enough surface agitation with it to get rid of the film. Mount it either on one side at the rear or maybe even on the side and then aim it at the front of the tank about 1/3 of the way down at an angle that will bounce the water back into the tank. You should be able to get it to spread the water flow all of the way across that way and I think it will get rid of any film.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't mind doing top offs' date=' I already have to do about half a gallon a day now. But the height makes it a pain to do simple things like change out a filter sock. And forget about a skimmer I made the stand too low I only have about 20 inches from bottom of sump to top of the stand. I did move the light down quite a bit last week it's around 8 inches inches over the water now. As far as drilling I have drilled a tank before I just had the overflow laying around and decided to use what I had. Now I don't know that I wanna break everything down to drill. :([/quote']

i have a sump and built in nano skimmer if your interested.

i have a sump and built in nano skimmer if your interested.

I just started building a new sump that should be able to house a swc 120 or a bubble magus nac3. What I wanted to do was use a 30b since the height is the same as a 20l but 12x18x36 but I went with a 20l cause it was $20 at petco. I may add another 40b next to it in the future and at that time probally build a bigger sump for both tanks.

Made some changes yestarday removed the old sump and added the new one, cleaned up the wiring, added some extra light and wrapped all the tubing with foam insulation. Who knew it was gonna take up most the day to change out a sump. Tho I did re do the plumbing with new clear tubing the old was full of algae.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9242&stc=1&d=1289150884

attachment.php?attachmentid=9243&stc=1&d=1289150884

attachment.php?attachmentid=9244&stc=1&d=1289150884

attachment.php?attachmentid=9245&stc=1&d=1289150884

attachment.php?attachmentid=9246&stc=1&d=1289150884

post-6361-141867757802_thumb.jpg

post-6361-141867757806_thumb.jpg

post-6361-141867757809_thumb.jpg

post-6361-141867757813_thumb.jpg

post-6361-141867757817_thumb.jpg