Cycle test results

cellowithgills

I set my tank up with salt, sand, and a little bit of dead rock yesterday, and here are the results:

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite:5+ppm (a beautiful shade of purple)

Nitrate:80+ppm

pH: 8.2

I bought my sand from Tat2d when he took down his tank, and kept it in a 10 gallon with an old filter, so I'm hoping that will make the cycle go by faster. I 'm also going to be adding a piece of live rock from my other tank.

• Like 1

the dead rock will take at least a month if not longer to cure and seed. i've done it several times' date=' starting from scratch never goes fast.[/quote']

Yes, just did the solana with boiled rock and it was good to add something after 7 weeks

Waiting for Kim to reply lol

Ok' date=' I just figured that I'm using all "used" material from my other tank so the cycle should be pretty quick right?[/quote']

It will definately help however do not get impatient. I know it's hard to do but you will be much happier in the end by allowing extra time for things to stabilize. I personally would do a couple of water changes over the next couple of weeks until you get the nitrates down to almost nothing. Then go another couple of weeks and be sure they stay stabilized before adding any fish. When you do I would limit it to one or two each week and continue watching the parameters. (It will fluctuate some with each addition as the tank needs to establish a new balance) After a few months you can probably get to a point where testing is only needed on a monthly basis if you are no longer adding anything new but don't do so until everything has been stable for a few months.

FWIW, it took me over a year to get my tank stable enough that the parameters would stay pretty steady.