Help with Durso

bobby1212

Hope you guys and gals can help me with this. I have done a bunch of research on the web to try and figure this out on my on but have not been able to totally solve the noise issue so thought I would post here for suggestions. Maybe I am expecting to much from this standpipe but it is still to loud for me as it is right behind my couch

I just set up my 72 bowfront and added a home made Durso stand pipe in my built-in corner overflow. I have a 1" drain with a 3/4" return drilled in bottom of tank. I have followed the direction for the Durso by making it out of 1 1/4" schedule 26 pvc. I had to shorten the street ell so it would fit in the overflow and it has a cap with a hole drilled for air. Under the tank I have 1" pvc for drain with a tee to divert some water to my fuge section because for the tee and ball valve the end of my drain pipe is under water there is no way around that. I have 3/4" pvc for my return line that is hard plumbed right onto my Mag drive 9.5 pump.

I started with a very small hole but then I got the constant rise and fall of water in the overflow and the toilet flush/gurgling noise that goes with it. So I made the hole bigger and now the water level is constant in the overflow and the flushing/gurgling is gone. I read that the water level is supposed to be about in the middle of the ell but mine runs quite a bit higher then that so not sure if that is part of the problem or not. The problem I am having is the noise of the water flowing through the pipes is just loud not real sure how to describe it. Maybe I am expecting to much but from what I have read it should be almost silent and mine is not. Maybe I am to close to it I don't know but I am hoping someone her has had a similar problem and can help me with mine.

Also as a side issue my pump is making a fairly distracting humming sound that even a 1/2" of foam rubbur under it doesn't stop. I was wondering if having it hard plumbed is the problem because I can make it slightly quieter by holding the pvc.

Any suggestions?

post-6028-14186778363_thumb.jpg

post-6028-141867783632_thumb.jpg

post-6028-141867783633_thumb.jpg

Just my 2 cents, but it looks like your noise might be coming from your sump. The unbaffled water coming out of your skimmer, the water flowing out of your fuge (far right chamber?) looks like it is falling pretty far. I would use a piece of foam like the one under the pipe in the last pic and put it around the output of the skimmer, I know that cut down on a lot of noise in my sump. Maybe something similar at the output of the fuge. If you don't have the surging, and flushing at the durso, then it is probably working fine. The mag drive pump is inherantly noisy. I have a mag 12 connected to soft tubing and can still hear it 3 rooms away when I go to bed.

Hope this helps, Gabe

Couple things to try. If you can find a length of tubing that will fit down the hole you made in the cap. Then slide it up and down till you get the best results.

As far as the pump noise. Try and lift the PVC and have the pump hang off bottom and see if that will quiet it down. It looks like the riser coming from the pump might be a little long to do that ATM as it will put stress at the 90 and bulkhead spot.

You look like you did a good job with ever thing. Sometimes it just takes some fine tunning. Mine sure did.

My durso pipes are whisper quiet. two problems i see. the T going to your sump should be horizontal not vertical, you will cause a toilet bowl effect by stopping water going in a downward motion which will cause alot of noise. The water is to high above the durso pipe. slow the pump down until it sits half way on the elbows and see if the sound goes away. Drill a 1/2" hole on the side of the stand pipe just under suggested water level. Make the hole even on each side of the stand pipe. this should fix your problem.

"Just my 2 cents, but it looks like your noise might be coming from your sump. The unbaffled water coming out of your skimmer, the water flowing out of your fuge (far right chamber?) looks like it is falling pretty far."

Yes Gabe a small amount of noise is coming from the skimmer output but the main noise is definitly in the 1" over flow pipe. The water that is going into the fuge is not dropping at all the output pipe is half submerged in the water so there is almost nothing for noise from there.

"Couple things to try. If you can find a length of tubing that will fit down the hole you made in the cap. Then slide it up and down till you get the best results."

This is something I was going to try at some point just can't wrap my head around how this makes a difference over just having the hole in the cap.

"the T going to your sump should be horizontal not vertical, you will cause a toilet bowl effect by stopping water going in a downward motion"

This maybe an option so basically I could eliminate one of the elbows and give the water a more straight path. So your saying I should have my ball valve going East/West rather then North/South after the T on the fuge side and just a straight pipe going into the skimmer section?

"The water is to high above the durso pipe. slow the pump down until it sits half way on the elbows and see if the sound goes away."

I was wondering if this may be a problem but I think with it riding as high as it is it is actually quieter in the overflow section because the water is only falling 2".