Help with trapping a pistol shrimp

Mandinga

Will pistol shrimp come out of their hole and hunt/forage enough to get caught in a trap? The only thing that I've heard is a bit of a nuclear option... determine which rock they are in, the take the rock out of the tank and pour tonic water/seltzer onto/into the rock and they'll run out. I would try other options first. But I thought I'd mention it.

the pistol has developed a diet for snails and crabs...well' date=' I should have known before i bought him, which is why i wont just kill him...Plus his burrowing is starting to scare me...AVALANCHE![/quote']

try target feeding maybe. that very reason is why i put my rock on the glass first and then fill with sand around it. not had anything fall over yet. my big tang moves 3-4 inches of sand around a day, its crazy.

When I found a pistol shrimp in my tank (LR taht I bought from a fellow reefer) and could not get the sucker out, the best thing I found was..........................

The Epoxy made by 2 little fishies. I like that brand as it is purple when mixed up.

Anyway you mix up a little bit and when the shrimp hides in his hole you epoxy the hole shut.

I thought it worked fine until I realized he had an emergency escape route-A little more epoxy and no more pistol shrimp.

Cruel but good luck catching it-SWF sells the epoxy

You must be thinking of a mantis shrimp and not a pistol shrimp....which is reef safe.

From the pics I was able to get while it was "out" (and what I saw online) people said it was a pistol shrimp.

I read both good and bad and decided that since it was something I did not intentionally add I was not willing to wait and see what happened-(nono)

There was no catching it and I don’t get bothered by that-some do but not myself, then again I have also seen videos of people crying while grass is cut-(sad) oh the pain-:eek:

Sorry-