Two Of my three Yellow tangs died over night, Help!!

gwalkerss

All 3 of my tangs were fine and swimming around and eating last night, this morning when I got up two of them were dead. The other one looks fine and there are not any marks or abnormal coloring. All of my water levels are just fine. I am still new to the whole saltwater tank thing, but I am trying to do it right. Can any one think what could have caused this to happen!! I got the tangs about 2 Weeks ago. please help, I dont want my other fish to die!!! (i have 1 Chriomis, 1 Coral Angel Beauty, and now only one tang!!

Thanks

Where they eating!? I to have had Yellow tanks die with no sigh what so ever of any problems at all!!. lOOKED PERFECT, IN LIFE AND DEATH. Well, except they where dead. I never did figure out why they died, still have one of three. I will tell you that they are one of the first to show stress in low O2. Really sorry to hear it. I will follow to see if anyone else has an idea. Did you buy them as soon as the LSF got them in? ?

others in my tank

The tank its self is appx 3.5 months old, i have a few basic corals and some crabs and snails, a star fish and one small bulb anemone. I have appx 60lbs of live rock in my 55 gallon tank!

CCR, it is odd that we have both had this happen, How long after you getting them did this happen? I got them appx 3-4 days after they came in from Saltwater fanta-seas

but did they eat? and what were u feeding them? how is the condition of your anemone as well? does it looked stressed at all? I dunno why but when we had a condy anem. it got all stressed out and released something in the water that killed a pair of clowns. thats the only thing we could figure out might have done it.

My tangs where almost exactly the same timing, to shop, purchase, death. I agree, and diagree with the tangs in a 55, Yes you can keep them. But if you got them at the same time. It is a strong possibility that it through your system off. That's a lot of inches of fish at one time. It's hard to say otherwise, for any of us, as we still don't have enough information on your total setup. Eating, do you remember if they where eating? What did you feed them? What are you feeging the last one? Is it hiding, or out most of the time?

someone looking for help and getting lectured, nice. Wonder if they will ever be back? I think we all make mistakes, its inherent to the hobby. Trying to help someone and being critical about thier methods aren't the same thing. Step off the high horse. All questions are good questions, right? peace

besides the comments about tank size i thinkwe were trying to be helpful. we asked about what the tangs ate and how often he fed them. without a little more info its kind of hard to give good advice.

And im sure that he had this posted in more than one forum (at least if hes smart) and probably got an answer on a forum with more traffic.

Nobody was bashing him for a mistake that he made because we dont even know if he made a mistake that resulted in the tang's death.

someone looking for help and getting lectured' date=' nice. Wonder if they will ever be back? I think we all make mistakes, its inherent to the hobby. Trying to help someone and being critical about thier methods aren't the same thing. Step off the high horse. All questions are good questions, right? peace[/quote']

I sure didn't feel any bashing was done at all. So , Josh, what would you have asked, or said instead???? Why do you presume no return? What's got your tick? Did you read more into it than there was? And .......If we wanted to be on a "HIGH HORSE" We would be mod's on RC.

If anything, I felt there was a concern responce from many. And as it says below

Your tank is way way way to small for one tang let alone three tangs' date=' Stress can kill fish really fast[/quote'].

And

you didnt QT your fish before hand either, Had you done that you wouldnt have to worry about your other fish

those were the ones that got my tick. Should have specified, i apologize to all offended. forgot about my high horse while lost in self-righteous land. toodles

josh

lol...i wasnt offended.....not by any means. I just didnt want anything i may have said to be seen as bashing. a 55g is just fine for one tang.....as long as its the yellow variety and not some of the larger more active species. I assumed that since he never replied to our inquiries about feeding and such that he had gotten his info somewhere else. and QT the fish had nothing to do with the losses if all three were added simultaneously....if thats the case then it was more of a bioload shock or ammonia spike that killed them.

Gwalkers, you still around? Did yo get my message? How are things going? My Scopus tang didn't make it either for no apparant reason except for the cleaner wrasse that had some lump that opened, swelled then died 2 days later. I'm about to give up on buying fish from LFS and stick to ones that have a clean bill of health in others tanks since my "adopted" fish have faired well and only had trouble with store bought fish. I'm all out of Bday and Xmas funds now so no more fishies for me (sad). I'll likely have to take down my QT tank, sterilize it and start over with the whole cycling again because who knows what was brought in this time.

I hope you never took people's advice as negative, communication through the web isn't always what it seems...nothing like good old face to face conversation with inflections that make things come across clearly. (Although the web has definately had a great impact on expanding our knowledge!!!...especially with reef keeping...I think the web is responsible for much success in this hobby and just think, that Gore guy only created those internets not that long ago :) )