What's your biggest bonehead move in reefing?

CA2OR

I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine in CA and he told me a story that was absolutely hilarious....apparently he tried Miracle Grow in his tank....needless to say it didn't work and he lost everything...when I asked him why he did it he said "it says it makes everything grow faster and fuller"(huh)

Now I know I have tried some dumb things when first starting out....but I am curious what others might have done as well.....

Tell you what....post your "bonehead Moment" and at the end of the month I will put them up for a vote....whoever gets the most votes will recieve the following:

5 to 10 polyp frag of these

IMG_5463.jpg

AND

10 to 20 polyp frag of these

IMG_5519.jpg

So bring it on.....this should prove to be a pretty funny thread.

I tried to save money on magnesium additive last month. I found 50# bags of 100% magnesium chloride at Costco for $14. Something in the back of my head told me not do it, but my cheap *** self said "Buy it". Long story short, I nearly wiped out my entire sps collection. Luckily I got most of them sold. The only sps that lived through it was my big tenius colony.

In order to have better flow in my main tank, I figured I'd replace the return PVC lines with LocLine (after the tank had been set up several months of course)...I turned off the return pump (in the basement), arranged the LocLine, had it blowing beautifully, about 6" below the waterline, without a siphon break cuz...I was going to add it after I adjusted the LocLine (Seriously, what was I thinking?!).

Went downstairs, killed the return pump and watched as my sump overflowed in under a minute...

Ran upstairs to break the siphon and it had already drain about 5.5" of water out of my tank.

Went back downstairs to check my saltwater tub, and of course, it was empty...(I was going to make more that weekend!)

No real long term damaged occurred but I spent the entire weekend fixing what would have been a 20 minute job if I had just a siphon break set up...

The LocLine was a great idea though!

I would have to say that one summer I was working at a local LFS for the summer. As usual I can not sit still (people who know me can attest to this) so I did my usual tank cleaning and maintenance. Well......... the big show tank was especially messy so I spent a good couple of hours working in the tank. To make a long story short my head started burning after about 3 hours. I had sunburned my head under the MH lights.

I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine in CA and he told me a story that was absolutely hilarious....apparently he tried Miracle Grow in his tank....needless to say it didn't work and he lost everything...when I asked him why he did it he said "it says it makes everything grow faster and fuller"(huh)

I have been using miracle grow in salt water systems for years. I have never used it on a reef directly but did use the phyto I was producing to feed the reef.

I will share my biggest bone head move when it would not stand out as much and I have more time to type

Not like I could of known in advance, but against my better judgement I bought a used skimmer my last go around and spent months trying to get it to work. my friend Frank and I finnally turned it into a beckett style skimmer and it worked great, but i tweeked it around so much in the begaining I probably ended up putting 100 hrs into getting the damned thing to work.

Should of bought a new brand name model.

O'well, I will this time :)

There was this one guy' date=' who shall go nameless, who cut the center brace out of a really nice 72 Bowfront because it was casting a shadow on his corals. (whistle)[/quote']

Now thats funny.

I just managed to break off a couple of pieces of my birdsnest cleaning my tankDOH! . Oh well, got a couple of small frags out of it.

There was this one guy' date=' who shall go nameless, who cut the center brace out of a really nice 72 Bowfront because it was casting a shadow on his corals. (whistle)[/quote']

That was me.....what makes that worse is I was told by quite a few that it was there only for holding the glass lids....purely cosmetic I believe was the saying.....WRONG!

That was me.....what makes that worse is I was told by quite a few that it was there only for holding the glass lids....purely cosmetic I believe was the saying.....WRONG!

Soo...you win? ;)

This gets my vote!

What makes it even worse is that it was my old tank! DOH!