Drilling a glass tank?

kendaroo

Thanks to those of you who suggested that we might be able to have our new 90G glass tank drilled. I assumed that the "tempered glass" sticker on the bottom meant that the whole tank was tempered glass.

Can anyone recommend someone who:

1) can tell us whether the back is tempered glass, and

2) if it's not, can drill the tank for us?

Thanks for all of the info, everyone!

Gillian

Saltwater fantaseas and sea horse i believe both drill tanks. its not a cheap venture though. check the sticker, it should say do not drill, or do not drill this panel. one usually means all glass is tempered and the other usually means just the panel the sticker is on (usually just the bottom) I had an all tempered glass tank once that shattered when it was drilled. not a pretty picture.

Saltwater fantaseas and sea horse i believe both drill tanks. its not a cheap venture though. check the sticker' date=' it should say do not drill, or do not drill this panel. one usually means all glass is tempered and the other usually means just the panel the sticker is on (usually just the bottom) I had an all tempered glass tank once that shattered when it was drilled. not a pretty picture.[/quote']

yes you did reefit and guess who had to clean that mess up(laugh).

You can sometimes also tell if glass is tempered if you have polarized sunglasses. It should have a wavey or swirl apperance to it. If you have ever driven in your car and looked at your side windows you'll know what I am talking about.

Drilling a tank isn't really all that hard. You need a diamond coated hole saw and a drill, some way to keep the glass cool (usually water) go slow, and let the drill do the work. I sure some member close to you has the proper tools and would let you borrow them.

Thanks to the magic of Google, a cheap pair of Fred Meyer sunglasses, and a LCD laptop screen, we have determined that our tank has a tempered bottom and regular glass sides. Hooray!

For the curious, we used this method:

http://www.salt-city.org/showthread.php?t=9542

So, is there anyone who wants to come and drill the tank with us? (clap) We will provide beer and pizza, as well as admiration for your drilling prowess and bravery.

We live in close-in NE PDX (Laurelhurst)

Gillian and Kendra