Silicon for Sumo

BrianB

You need to check a few things first.

Silicon has an expiration date so check that its still good. You may have to call the company.

Next, this is likely a silicon sealant. Not an adhesive. So we need more info to be sure it can be used to build a tank.

Good idea!

I was talking with a reefer that suggested using silicone to construct an overflow box. I looked at him somewhat incredulously. In retrospect, I think he was referring to this type of sealant/adhesive.

I also visited a shop that sealed an acrylic tank and used what they thought was a silicone sealant of the same variety, I believe.

The strength of acrylic cement, IMHO, is unsurpassed. It chemically welds, not just seals. For those of us with less than perfect acrylic cutting skills (ie. Sawzall types) this silicone might be useful for small pinhole leaks. I would never use it as a substitute for a good acrylic weld.

Reef safe? Likely OK in small amounts, maybe.(scratch)

Put it on Ebay as " vintage" sealant....there's one born every minute' date=' you might get a few bucks for it![/quote']