DIY Kalk Reactor

Gabe

In the never ending quest to free the shackles of daily tank maintinance (no more dosing two part) and after some research, I decided on a kalk reactor. But, man those things are expensive(nutty) who knew a piece of tube and a little pump could cost $200+(flame)

Enter the diy part.(scratch) I did some talking to some people in the know, read other diy's, and looked at the ones at the lfs. Soon I had a pile of parts in my garage.

-4x24 acrilic tube

-1/4 clear acrilic

-mj400

-misc fittings

-1 1/4 union

The assembly went pretty smooth, one thing I remember from 7th grade plastics class is "the better the fit, the better the joint". The hardest part was figuring how to connect the pump to the the tube. (and I have a better idea for next time)(whistle) Some of the pics are for visualization only (saw not running)

Feel free to ask any questions, give any critiques. This was fun, and I may build another just to get it a little better.

I just installed it tonight, so I will be adding updates.

post-6106-141867782447_thumb.jpg

post-6106-14186778245_thumb.jpg

post-6106-141867782453_thumb.jpg

post-6106-141867782456_thumb.jpg

post-6106-141867782459_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So far so good!

No leaks!(rock2) Not sure if it was the reactor or not, but as soon as the next day corals were looking better. Leathers seem to be open all the time now, birdsnests are fuller, and my duncans have never been this open. (all two heads)(whistle) I have always had a hard time keeping alk above 7 or 8, and ph was usualy below 8. Last weekends tests put alk at 9 and cal. at 510. The ph has been between 7.7 first thing in the morn, to 8.1 before the lights go out.

Need to test this week, and see if the alk will be any higher. Not sure if I have enough evap to dose what I need. Will add couple tbl. spoons of kalk this week as the sludge is getting kind of thin.

Thanks for looking, Gabe