Fish eating, but losing weight

Nate213

Our new Midas is slowing losing weight and getting thinner. It has been eating well and is always hungry, but looks like it is slowly starving to death. When it eats it doesn't look like its stomach is filling up, like the other fish do. Any advice? We are currently using Rod's Food 2x a day.

I have read abouut internal parasites in sleeper gobies being a problem. You can make your own medication by mixing de mormer (for dogs) with water It amounts to something like a freshwater dip. I have never done this, only read about it. Mabey you can find more details through a google search. I will try to find the book I read this in.

here it is "to deworm a new sleeper goby, use a commercial preperation or make your own medicated food: add Fenbendazole or Piperazine at a dosage of 250 mg per 100 grams of food feed it for 7 to 10 days". If it were me I would get the commercial preperation lol

I have a clown trigger that has the same problem right now. I am treating with Prazi-Pro. Isaac has some, you treat the water with it, best to do in a hospital tank, just because of the volume of product needed to treat a bigger tank.

I am also feeding vitamin and garlic enriched high protein marine dry food once a day and then meaty foods once a day. (also can get marine food from isaac, the fish love it!)

Hope this helps, so far our trigger appears to be well, slowly putting on the weight!

Beth

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to catch the Midas and move it to the QT, but my Prazi-Pro did not show up in time. This is about the 6th or 7th fish that I have had mysteriously die in the last few month. All have been new additions. Im not sure what is going on. They seem to either pass away in a week or so, or they last 6-8 weeks and have similar symptoms to the Midas. Eat well, look healthy, no visable parasites such as ich, and they just dont put on weight. I also had the Yellow Fin wrasse that started the death spiral for a week and then died.

I read an article about flukes causing mysterious deaths. Anyone had to deal with flukes?

I've had terrible luck with locally store-bought fish, and no problem with fish bought from other hobbyist's tanks. I think the quality of fish we're getting nowadays just isn't very good (due to collect techniques, extended time from reef to tank, etc). I'm at the point where I just don't buy fish from stores anymore. I've had this conversation with several other hobbyists in the area and I know I'm not alone with the very high mortality rate.

Re: Fish eating, but losing weight

You don't say....I have had good luck with one "local" place for fish being TECO....oh....and Garrett outside of that I won't even consider the idea....the "alive guarantee's" say it all....72 hours....is that a joke? And it is advertised as if they are setting the standard or something....can't be serious.

I prefer the 15 day that I get from where I buy my fish from....anything less is uncivilized....seriously...

No TECO, no Garrett, or no 15 day (which is the only respectable offer)....no customer in me for fish you are better off not even mentioning that you have fish....JMHO

Sent from my brain using telepathy

Fish die they are wild animals some make it some don't. You are always rolling the dice on a wild caught fish. I buy them, but i know its 50/50 chance at best. I worked briefly in the industry and when we transshipped fish from the islands there was always a minimum %20 die off out of the box, usually a quite bit more than that after the first week. I wouldn't be the least bit surpirsed if the majority of lfs's have to work just to break even on fish.

That being said everyone knows how I feel about quarantine. In short, it believe it to be much more stressful and detrimental to the overall health of the fish. If the fish's immune system can't fight it off on its own, well thats the nature of the beast.

Good luck, I wish you better luck than I have had!