ToadStool Leather Coral propagation

ReefSafari

So I went to town on my VERY large Golden Toadstool Leather coral this weekend, got 8 big frags from it. I was always curious why my Golden Toadstool never had "Fingered" tips on its tenticles, and my Tyree Green and my other White Toadstools did.

Well when I got my Golden Toadstool it was on a little chunck of flat rock, and where I placed it it actually slowly slide and moved onto a different rock, but left a little chunck of its base behind, that is now growing into a new start. Whats strange is that new start has the little fingers at the ends of its tenticles, while all the frags I have cut from the "Cap" have never had those little fingers on the tenticles.

So Amanda (my wife) had this theory that toadstools are made up of two parts the "Cap" and the "Stalk" if you frag a toadstool from the Cap, it won't produce those little fingers on the tenticles, and if you frag from the Stalk then they will.

This has been the case for us, but I am curious what others who have fragged thier toadstools have exprerienced?

This is just a theory, and has been the case with us, the frags that have come from the stalk have the little fingers and all the frags we have done from the cap just have little tenticles, with no fingers at the ends...

I have been told that sometimes they don't extend thier little fingers at the ends of thier tenticles, and it sometimes depends on water quality, lighting, ect....but I have 3 different kinds of Toadstool Leather coral and the others do have little fingers on thier tenticles...which by my wifes theory would mean they where fragged from the stalk, and not the cap...

What has been your expereince?

011-2.jpg

015-1.jpg

Hmm interesting theory.

I know the fingers that came of my Devil hand or fingers that came from the cap grow and look the same as the mother. "with feathery tentacles" I never took a frag from the trunk or foot of this leather.

I guess I would have to take a frag from the base to see what happens there. Or Noobtosalt has to being he has it now.

My other big yellow toadstool, "that Garret now has" had feathery tentacles and I have a small frag from his foot and will have to wait and see what it grows like. Should have feathery tentacles according to your theory.

You sure have allot of fragging to do to check this theory out. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hmm interesting theory.

I know the fingers that came of my Devil hand or fingers that came from the cap grow and look the same as the mother. "with feathery tentacles" I never took a frag from the trunk or foot of this leather.

I guess I would have to take a frag from the base to see what happens there. Or Noobtosalt has to being he has it now.

My other big yellow toadstool, "that Garret now has" had feathery tentacles and I have a small frag from his foot and will have to wait and see what it grows like. Should have feathery tentacles according to your theory.

You sure have allot of fragging to do to check this theory out. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the reply, Thats interesting to know, We have very limited expereince fragging, but just thought it was weird that my big Golden ToadStool did not have the little fingers at the ends, and the frags we have take from the cap also do not, but the "babie" it left from the stalk, does:eek:

We have never fragged ours from the stalk before, just the cap...so..(scratch)

IME fragging sacrophyton leathers they have always grown the " little fingers" and I always frag from the cap.

JME

Interesting, thanks for the reply, Have you ever seen any ToadStool Leathers that don't have those "little fingers"...Would it make scense that your "Mother" Toadstool was fragged from a stalk...? Maybe I am confusing myself...lol(nutty)

I have two leathers, the devils hand and a little yellow one (unidentified). The devil was in the tank for at least a week before it opened the fingers and now almost always does. The other one opens the fingers some days and not on other days. I think this is alot like the pervasive quesstion of why a bubble tip anenomes sometimes does and sometimes does not bubble its tips. Thier is no "one" answer imo instead it's more likley a complex combination of factors, lighting, water quality, feeding ect.