Thin Clown Trigger

tanktop74

Our previously fat and happy clown trigger baby is now thinning out. It is still eating well and happy. I suspect an internal parasite.

My question is how to best treat this? Has anyone had success? This is my most favorite fish in the tank!

I have found Prazipro online or....There is a commercially prepared anti-parasitic pellet food available. It is made by Jungle. The product name is: Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food. The active ingredients in this food are levamisole (also a stimulant for the fish immune system), Metrodinazole, and Praziquantel. This particular formula will kill a much broader spectrum of intestinal organisms.

I also have the signs of dinoflagellates which the jungle food will treat.

Thanks!

Beth

yeah if you want to treat with prazi, do it in QT or else you will use an entire bottle!

You also have to treat multiple times. After 7 days of prazi, do a huge water change, and then dose again. I heard people say it's best to do it 3 times to make sure you catch the eggs since it doesn't kill those.

If you want to try the jungle, petsmart has it if you want to pick it up tonight.

Is it a reef or a FOWLR? if FOWLR treat with prazi... if reef' date=' well there are people who have treated with prazi but not sure if I would trust it. I treat all my new fish with prazi in QT and it works great.[/quote']

Well it was a FOWLR until I put mushrooms, open brains, clam, xenia and bubble coral in it! So I guess you could say its a reef now! Is the prazi safe for the reef?

I don't have a QT set up and think that stresses the fish out more, so would rather just treat the whole tank! Or I will try the jungle food!

Any other thoughts??

Thanks

Beth

Is this the 150 gallon? You could treat the reef, many have. You need 5mls per 20 gallons and they recommend a water change and repeat after 3-5 days. Then a water change again after the second treatment. 1 bottle will treat your reef twice, but you will need about 150 gallons of saltwater made up for water changes.

If it was a bacterial or fungus disease i would be more worried about stress. since it is a parasite it will not matter as much. the fish immune system will not help too much so i highly recommend a solid QT and heavy medication. all you need is tank, HOB filter, and a terra cotta pot or something to hide in. no heater or light.

If it was a bacterial or fungus disease i would be more worried about stress. since it is a parasite it will not matter as much. the fish immune system will not help too much so i highly recommend a solid QT and heavy medication. all you need is tank' date=' HOB filter, and a terra cotta pot or something to hide in. no heater or light.[/quote']

why no heater?