Anyone build a hanging wood fixture for lights?

Rick

I'm working on one that could be wood trimmed. i'm going to use the 3/4" sq aluminum to make a frame. mount T-5's below 3 in front 3 in back and 2 MH above,down the center, they will be covered in a half circle of the solar tube material as reflectors. 48"x 30" and approx 8" high.

Then skin it with any light weight material, if you want a wood look you could skin it with 1/8" oak veneer and trim the edges

I'm going to hang it with the 3/4" tubes you have done, The ballast will not be on the fixture, maybe the T-5's but not the MH

I would be a bit concerned about corrosion using aluminum. I was thinking about just using 1 x 3's for the framing. Not really too worried about the weight as the tubes will support a few hundred pounds at least. Since the rest of my stand is covered with the bamboo I'm thinking about using that for the front and sides.

IMG_5776.jpg

Now you got me thinking. I was going to just build it flat at the top (I still might) but that actually looks pretty good. It would allow a little more window light to enter the room from behind the tank. (One of the reasons I decided not to build a hood for this one is that it would block the window more)