Looky what I got!!

Big Dave

Very nice.

The maroon colored serpent stars are usually reef safe and pretty hardy. (Actually most of the serpents are usually okay) The ones you really need to watch out for are the green brittle stars. (They are a similar shape except the spines are much more pronounced on the brittle stars) If you ever see any of them hunched up with a gap between the oral disc and the sand watch out as they are waiting for a fish to swim under so they can capture it. I also had a spiny sand shifting star for about a week that would come out of the sand at night and swallow astrea snails shell and all. (It would then spit the shell out later)

I got it from Saltwaterfish.com. I was on the 'waitng list' for a good 4-5 months and they sent me an email. I just got my taxes back sooo... you know the rest of the story. :D Yes, they are reef safe to a point. I hand feed my stars at least once a week with some food I made for the stars and RBTA. It's a mix of fresh clams, scallops, and oyster. They seem to love it and eat it right up. No problems with fish disappearing, but I only have some percs, a firefish and a clown goby. Starfish don't read though, so I guess there's a chance they would go after fish, but they are fed well. I heard these red serpants like to melt down after shipping, so it had a nice slow 5 hour acclimation. We'll see how it does in the next few days.

I also had a spiny sand shifting star for about a week that would come out of the sand at night and swallow astrea snails shell and all. (It would then spit the shell out later)

hahaha! I had a sand sifter that did that too! I couldn't figure out why all of my snails were dying. Finally I decided that I wanted to get rid of the thing and when I brought him to Garrett I was informed that this was my snail problem! Sure enough, I haven't had any more snail problems since the little booger was evicted....now he lives in Garrett's sump..... destined to be harlequin shrimp food!

hahaha! I had a sand sifter that did that too! I couldn't figure out why all of my snails were dying. Finally I decided that I wanted to get rid of the thing and when I brought him to Garrett I was informed that this was my snail problem! Sure enough' date=' I haven't had any more snail problems since the little booger was evicted....now he lives in Garrett's sump..... destined to be harlequin shrimp food![/quote']

Garrett actually saw a picture of it I posted and warned me about it. I caught it trying to get an astrea snail that night and pulled it out to return to the LFS. When I took it back the next day he put the bag into the tank but it was still closed. A few minutes later it spit out a shell right there inside the bag. I probably only lost a few snails but I'm glad Garrett warned me or it probably would have cleaned them out.

Garrett actually saw a picture of it I posted and warned me about it. I caught it trying to get an astrea snail that night and pulled it out to return to the LFS. When I took it back the next day he put the bag into the tank but it was still closed. A few minutes later it spit out a shell right there inside the bag. I probably only lost a few snails but I'm glad Garrett warned me or it probably would have cleaned them out.

Oh it definitely would have. I probably spent $100 feeding that sucker. I just kept buying new snails since all of my tests were coming back normal.....Stupid sand sifting star! Extremely effective hunter though....

Oh it definitely would have. I probably spent $100 feeding that sucker. I just kept buying new snails since all of my tests were coming back normal.....Stupid sand sifting star! Extremely effective hunter though....

I'll bet it looked something like this?

post-5811-141867754204_thumb.jpg