Aquarium photography 101

CA2OR

Great work guys, looking good!

Don't forget composition, too! It's more important than technique. After all, a technically imperfect photo can still be interesting, but a boring-but-technically-perfect shot is still just boring. ;)

http://fotogenetic.dearingfilm.com/golden_rectangle.html

http://photoinf.com/General/KODAK/guidelines_for_better_photographic_composition.html

http://photoinf.com/Golden_Mean/Eugene_Ilchenko/GoldenSection.html

Looking good guys.

Frank, are you doing any post processing? Try bumping up the contrast and saturation one or two notches and perhaps the sharpness a little. See if that will make the colors pop out a little more.

Another suggestion is to read a few Photography books. 2 of them that I've found to be beneficial are actually older (pre-digital) books however almost all of the principals are still the same. Even the information on darkroom and developing can be applied to some extent to digital post processing. One of the books is called "Michael Langford's 35mm Handbook" and the other is "John Hedgecoe's Complete Photography Course". I've had these two books for about 20 years and I still pull them out from time to time to review them. I actually spent a couple of hours down at Powell's Books downtown a couple of weeks ago looking over the photography books currently available and while they have changed a little to be geared more towards digital photography the principals haven't really changed much.

Hedgecoe's book is top notch. Peterson's Understanding Exposure is good' date=' too.[/quote']

I see three versions. Do you suggest one over the other?

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera Revised Edition

Looks like I'm going to make another trip downtown. Any other book suggestions? In particular I'm trying to work on portraits and candids.

Yea I shot them in raw and then change the Kalvin to 10k that is the highest the canon software will go. I have up the sharpness a little and add noise reduction. All of my family on my moms side are photographs so the composition on the ones I have been shooting I have just been trying to get the pics to look better and then work on the composition.

I wold love to offer up to something up. Maybe we can all meet and talk over shooting and share and help others...

Yea I shot them in raw and then change the Kalvin to 10k that is the highest the canon software will go. I have up the sharpness a little and add noise reduction. All of my family on my moms side are photographs so the composition on the ones I have been shooting I have just been trying to get the pics to look better and then work on the composition.

I wold love to offer up to something up. Maybe we can all meet and talk over shooting and share and help others...

Go into the picture styles on the camera and create a User Defined style. (I think your camera has the same setting as mine) Start with Landscape as a base and then bump up the contrast and saturation 2 notches each. Since your using DPP it will apply this style automatically when you post process it. Here is an edit I made on one of your pics above in photoshop to show the approx. difference it should make. On the left side of this pic I bumped up the contast and saturation a little and then used unsharp mask. In DPP it should be equivelant (or close) to the above settings I mentioned. The right side is the original posted above for comparison.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7738

post-5811-141867753891_thumb.jpg

I see three versions. Do you suggest one over the other?

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera Revised Edition

Looks like I'm going to make another trip downtown. Any other book suggestions? In particular I'm trying to work on portraits and candids.

I've got the third one in the list -- I think the others are out of print. John Shaw's Closeups in Nature is another good book with a few pages on aquarium photography, even.

As far as portrait and candid photography, I don't have any recommendations. I was looking at buying some studio lights while back and getting more serious about shooting, but I ended up buying a stupid plastic box full of saltwater instead ;) Every once in a while I think about diving back in but then I see a pretty coral or fish (whistle)

I've got the third one in the list -- I think the others are out of print. John Shaw's Closeups in Nature is another good book with a few pages on aquarium photography, even.

As far as portrait and candid photography, I don't have any recommendations. I was looking at buying some studio lights while back and getting more serious about shooting, but I ended up buying a stupid plastic box full of saltwater instead ;) Every once in a while I think about diving back in but then I see a pretty coral or fish (whistle)

I'll take a look at that one also. Powell's shows all 3 of the ones I mentioned but a lot of their books are used so they could be out of print.

I have a couple of umbrellas and 3 E-TTL flash units I've had for years plus I'm working on some DIY studio lighting. (We'll see how that turns out) Fortunately both hobbies go well together.

Rick would love to have you come out and show me what you are doing. I know I could find and nice frag for your time...

I could do that. When is a good time for you?

Andy, If you can get that Powerpoint Presentation to me I can upload it to one of my websites for people here to download.

Andy or Rick,

Either or both of you guys interested in putting on a little demo for the next meeting in Springfield? I know that Douglas was looking for some kind of mini photo presentation?

Should be a great meeting. Check out what Douglas has planned!

Andy' date=' If you can get that Powerpoint Presentation to me I can upload it to one of my websites for people here to download.[/quote']

I put a PDF up onto my Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B7-vue6-hJyJNzA5NjE3MjUtMGIwMC00ZWM3LWIzNWEtYWViNWUyYzAzNDNk&hl=en

I'll leave it up there -- if you want to host it from your site, that's fine too.

Andy or Rick,

Either or both of you guys interested in putting on a little demo for the next meeting in Springfield? I know that Douglas was looking for some kind of mini photo presentation?

I did one not too long ago, think we're ready for another?

Andy or Rick,

I'm willing if I can swing it. My wife is scheduled to work that day but I think she's going to see if she can get it off. (I mentioned it to her this morning on the way out the door) If so then I think I would like to try to do a hands on workshop of some sort where people bring their cameras and maybe even their laptops if they have them.

High ISO, No Light (Almost). This shot was lit with nothing more than the light coming through the outside windows with the blinds closed. It was dark enough that auto focus would not work at all and I had to take the pictures first to even see if the Cinnamon Clown was in the anemone. I used a Tripod and turned an overhead light on just long enough to manually focus it. (The focus is actually slightly forward of where I would have liked) Then I used the 2 second timer on the camera to help prevent camera shake.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7752

Camera Model Canon EOS REBEL T1i

Firmware Firmware Version 1.1.0

Shooting Date/Time 4/29/2010 11:25:39 AM

Shooting Mode Manual Exposure

Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/15

Av( Aperture Value ) 2.0

Metering Mode Spot Metering

ISO Speed 3200

Auto ISO Speed OFF

Lens EF50mm f/1.8 II

Focal Length 50.0mm

Image Size 4752x3168

Image Quality RAW

Flash Off

FE lock OFF

White Balance Mode Auto

AF Mode Manual focusing

Picture Style User Defined 1(Landscape)

Sharpness 4

Contrast 2

Saturation 2

Color tone 0

Long exposure noise reduction 0 Off

High ISO speed noise reduction 3 Disable

Highlight tone priority 0 Disable

Auto Lighting Optimizer 3 Disable

Peripheral illumination correction Enable

File Size 21388KB

Dust Delete Data No

Drive Mode Self-Timer Operation

Live View Shooting OFF

post-5811-141867754207_thumb.jpg

I'll take a look at that one also. Powell's shows all 3 of the ones I mentioned but a lot of their books are used so they could be out of print.

I have a couple of umbrellas and 3 E-TTL flash units I've had for years plus I'm working on some DIY studio lighting. (We'll see how that turns out) Fortunately both hobbies go well together.

Most ETTL units can be used off camera on a manual setting with the proper hot shoe adapter.

If you need help in the studio sphere let me know. I have been doing studio photography professionally for the last 12 years.

Most ETTL units can be used off camera on a manual setting with the proper hot shoe adapter.

I can get them to work with the ETTL if I'm creative with which flash I use for the master. The 420 EX doesn't work as a master so I actually need to use one of the Sigma 500's on the camera. (Which is how I set up the flash shot's on page 2 of this thread)

If you need help in the studio sphere let me know. I have been doing studio photography professionally for the last 12 years.

Thanks, I very well may do that.

Just remembered another rule of thumb for hand held shutter speed. The rule of thumb is 1/focal length. I.E. If you have a 60mm focal length then the minimum shutter speed to be considered safe is going to be 1/60 of a second, 200mm would be 1/200s, etc.

This just gives you a ball park starting point though as some people have a steadier hand and some are more shaky.