Yuma issues - again!

sharoleb

Ok, so I've been trying to save one yuma for months now, it's still struggling along but hasn't died. I REALLY like them, so I bought another one from Rose City (rock2) last Saturday. It's been declining ever since I put it in my tank. DOH!DOH!DOH!(flame)

When I brought it home - I floated it for about 15 minutes, took out some water, put in some tank water, let it sit then did that again. Then a 10 minute soak in TMPCC.

I put it in a shady spot, med flow. It looked ok, but opened its mouth and did not close it. Then it started pooping for a few days, losing color and looking pathetic. I moved it into a different spot, that was basically half light half shaded, so it could reach to whichever it preferred.

I came home last night and the entire thing was, well, gooey. All of it was sliming. I dipped again and put it in some low flow low light.

Why can I not keep yumas alive? (sad) I do have one green one, bought from a forum member, that is doing awesome. Please please anyone w/ yuma experience, particularly bleached yumas, help me out!

36 bow front w/ PC's.

I usually take 1 to 2 1/2 hours to acclimatize. I may be overy cautious.YMMV. I wonder how long Rose City had the Yuma?

It seems that the "easy corals" are not always easy.

I have had Yumas that grow like GSP in other tanks just maintain in mine and then take off and be a baby making machine after a year. Go figure.

Yes, Sisikyou's yumas are awesome. One even almost took out a candy cane colony as it wandered over. I moved it and all is very well. Those were my first yumas, and loved them so much I want different colors. But the different colors don't appreciate my love.

Yumas are very finiky. The deeper and richer the color the more finiky they can get. I just got in a shipment of a few yumas. I put all of them side by side and withing 2 days could tell which ones would be a problem. So far only one has died and the others all appear to be in great health. In the past I have had them look good for months then all the sudden one day....BAM. Sliming, gooing, and ultimately dieing. This is a problem that every forum talks about but no one has an answer for. It seems like it is a Yuma problem. The Florida rics dont do the same thing in the same manner. I dont think it has anything to do with you as much as the temperment of the yuma. One thing that I have discovered is when they open there mouth and it stays open then thats the one that seems to have the problem. If they have a closed mouth after acclimation then chances are they will be fine. I know this is frustrating for you as it is for me too. Nothing worse then getting in a beautiful Yuma only to watch it melt in a few days or over a few weeks. I will have a few going on ebay this week so maybe if they are within your budget you can get another and try it.

Thank you! I'm really glad to know it's not just me!!! I actually look at ALL of your yumas Perry! I love them! I hold back because yours are just too pretty to give a death sentence to. This is actually why I was trying again, hoping to figure them out so I can get the SUPER DUPER yumas! (clap)

I have read that about the mouth, that's why I mentioned it. I think next time I will take the time to do a drip acclimiation, very very slowly. Although with each one that fails it's getting harder to talk the husband into a trip to the fish store "just to look honey." (laugh)

Ok - how about from this angle - I have read that when you first get a yuma you should put it in the shade to rest from the journey. Leave it there until it starts to reach for the light, then slowly move it up.

Any thoughts on that? Or do you just put it straight into the direct light?