Questions about Koralia 1050? Good/Bad??

NoobtoSalt

So I see that Hydor has come out with new pumps and wanted to know if anyone has had good or bad experience with them. I currently am not running anything in my tank other than my return pump that keeps a good current on one side of the tank and I know I need one for the otherside.

So far everyone has been extremely helpful so I figured I'd give it a shot and see what everyone's opinions were on these pumps.

From what I have read online the new 1050 gph is in between the two older models of K3 (850gph) and K4(1200 gph). I ordered 1 for now, figured at least one is better than what I've got in the tank right now and I will see where it takes me.

If anyone has any experience with the new pumps I would love some insight on them. Again I have no powerhead in the tank right now so proper placement etc. would be helpful. I've been told by a lfs that it isn't neccessary to hook it up to a timer as well.

I havent used the new ones, but I have 3 k4s in my 72 gallon. Flow seems perfect. I'd also like to know how the new pumps do. As far as placement, I would place one in each back corner and aim them towards the middle. If just one, I would do the same, but place it on the opposite side of your return.

About 2 weeks ago I replaced two modded Maxi-jets with the Evolution 1400s. I have them on a JBJ Ocean Pulse wavemaker. So far they are awesome and I'm impressed. They are super quiet and I cant hear them start at all. Flow seems good. Im not sure if it is as much as the modded Maxis, but they start every time. I had problems with the Maxi jets running backwards or getting stuck. Time will tell if they hold up.

I picked up a 1400 a few weeks ago, and am very happy with it.

20% more flow than a K4, half the power consumption, slightly smaller size, controllable (unlike the k1-k4's), and about the same price as the K4. What's not to like?

You sound just like the advertisments for it..lol

Glad to hear that someone has tried it out and is happy with it. Looking forward to getting it!

I've been considering one of these the last couple days. In my 75gal i have a vortech mp40w, and 2 K4s. But i'm considering one of these for my QT/frag tank. The best part about the koralias is the mounting magnet. Would be nice to replace the Seio i'm using with suction cups that falls off every other day.

If you go for one of these, be sure to check out amazon.com. Their prices are often better than the cheapest online reef store.

If your going to go with two, I would put them on timers if not a wavemaker so you can get some randomness to your flow. It makes a huge difference and is far better then running 2 24/7 IME (well not my experience with the hydor koralia evolutions, but with other pups run on wavemakers to alternate current)

HTH

just email them and ask if they price match. They sent me a 5% off coupon and free shipping for a "one time only" deal. There was no way I was going to pass it up. I have a coupon now that I just got in my email for $15 off for $75 or more purchase too. Still wierd to think of buying it from them.

I ordered some of these in for a customer a few days ago and they are shweet. Slightly more companct, dead silent, vertually no cost to run them, and are controlable, plus even more. What's not to like? If anyone has any questions on them, hit me up. I can also grab various controllers/wavemakers. I will be ordering a few for the tanks soon myself.

would 2 of the 1400 on a jbj wavemaker be enough flow for my 90 gal? they're a heck of a lot cheaper than the mp40 i've been dreaming about.

I think 2 of the 1400's would be great on a 90g(4ft). I might throw 3 or 4 in if you need some crazy flow for SPS and such but 2 would definately get things movein. A wavemaker/timer would be cool in conjunction.

My 2 evolution 1050s came in today!! Looking forward to replacing the Seio 820 in my QT tank. I hate mounting pumps with suction cups so it will be nice to have a solid mounting pump in there. Will let you know how the flow does compared to the K4s also.