The best $18 spent!a

newfisher

In an effort to not be tied to the RO/DI watch clock and flood my garage,I came up with a simple solution to free up some time. Why I didn't think of this sooner? I use a 55 gallon Brute on wheels for mixing and storing. It has a 400 watt heater and a pump that are running most days. I use a water general 150 gpd RO unit and have a ton of faucet pressure so this thing MAKES WATER in a hurry! After Clay and I set up an Auto top off system on the fish only I thought "why not put a float on the brute"? I bought a $18 mechanical float valve,a 1/4 tee and shut off valve , drilled a 1/2 hole in the can and whalla! , no more babby sitting water! Its the best $18 I've spent in the hobby so far.

Yup, that's a good system. I do the same thing on my topoff reservoir. unfortunately, I don't have enough pressure going into the RODI for an auto-shutoff switch to work... If I forget to turn it off manually, I lose a lot of water down the waste drain line.

ato

Are you shutting your water at the source? Or just the output?

I have it plumbed into a pressurized 4g bottle first,out to the 55g and t'd to the 150g fish only. It shuts everything down including the waste water when either float or bottle are full. The initial start up and "dirty water" goes into the bottle and it has a seperate faucet plumbed off of it that we fill the dogs,cats and drinking water from to reduce the slight amount of initial start water into the system.