Help Hanging Lights?

7Max-GTE

So I want to suspend my 24" AquaticLife fixture from my ceiling. I am tired of having it sit on an old VersaTop that I cut to fit across my tank DOH!

I can't tell where I have beams above it, and I don't trust just molly-bolts to hang it on...Any tips from those of you that know construction better than me? Thanks!

For a really clean look, (and you have access to the space above your ceiling) lay a 2x4 across your joists and attach there. Then make a hole in the sheetrock just big enough to thread the cable through. I helped a buddy do this, and the finnish looked great.

Just one option.

Gabe

Really nice idea! You could run Sunlight Supply Yo-Yo's to the ceiling. You can get aircraft cable at Jerry's, HD,etc.

You can, again bang in the ceiling or borrow my stud locater. ( I know the batteries are good because every time it gets near Jon it laughs, uncontrollably).

Be careful if you have cable ceiling heat.

For a really clean look, (and you have access to the space above your ceiling) lay a 2x4 across your joists and attach there. Then make a hole in the sheetrock just big enough to thread the cable through. I helped a buddy do this, and the finnish looked great.

Just one option.

Gabe

Oh Algae you never cease to surprize me!! I just belly laugh for a good minute!! That was hilarious!! (laugh)

Clay

Really nice idea! You could run Sunlight Supply Yo-Yo's to the ceiling. You can get aircraft cable at Jerry's, HD,etc.

You can, again bang in the ceiling or borrow my stud locater. ( I know the batteries are good because every time it gets near Jon it laughs, uncontrollably).

Be careful if you have cable ceiling heat.

I found these eye-hooks that can support 35 lbs each in drywall. Looks like I will be doing those on the overhang above my tank, then hanging some coated galvanized cable from them and attaching that to my light. I'll post pics when I'm done! Thanks!

Just a word of coution... Is that 35# rated shear (in a wall with the weight pulling down) or tensile (in the ceiling pulling down). The guy I helped had his fixture fall in his tank when it was just supported by the sheetrock.

Gabe

Just my experience, sheetrock anchors are good if you never touch them. Every time they get bumped, (moving the light to feed, clean, etc.) they weaken. If it were me, I would support either above the ceiling with some kind of spreader(2x4 or ?), or screw directly into the ceiling joists.

Not trying to be pushy,(enforcer) just would hate to see a thread in 6 months about a light falling.(sad)

Gabe

Oh yeah I understand. The diagrams on the back show the hook being installed in a ceiling, and the weight going down. This is only temporary, since I will be out of my apartment in the next few months. If I had access, I would just run a 2x4 above it, but my landlord wasn't too into that idea when I mentioned it :] I pulled gently on the hooks after I installed them, and felt no give at all, so the light is up now. I also have a big piece of wood right in the center so if it does fall, at worst I break a bulb or two :] Thanks for all the help guys!

Thanks! I was going through one of my Amano books today and got the urge to actually aquascape. When my fish and coral relax again, I'm going to get the left side stacked more like the right side, and pick up a bit more rock. So far so good on the light, the hangers feel REALLY sturdy, so I have a bit of confidence in it. I will keep the wood brace on the tank for a few more days, just in case :]