Nasty stuff in Refugium w/pic

KMiller

I was checking out my refugium today and found some nasty stuff. First I saw an aiptasia that was probably 3 inches long (thanks Pet Time for kindly giving that to me (wife)(wife)(flame)) and I also saw this weird algae growing on the top of the macro and on the water surface... any ideas??? It almost looks bubbly... gross!

Sorry that they aren't the best pictures, I had to lean as far over the tank as I could lol

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

The nasty stuff on the surface is fine. You want it there instead of that in the display.

The slow flow in the fuge is just right. As for aipitasia, if it doesn't spread into the display it is not so bad.

I used to have a cpr aquafuge. I had the same slime.

The nasty stuff on the surface is fine. You want it there instead of that in the display.

The slow flow in the fuge is just right. As for aipitasia, if it doesn't spread into the display it is not so bad.

I used to have a cpr aquafuge. I had the same slime.

Oh good, so I shouldn't remove it? I have tons of pods growing, so I thought I must be doing something right...then I saw the slime LOL

I would trim out the slimy algae. It looks like it is choking back the chaeto. Just use scissors to cut the top couple of inches of macro off and throw it in the garbage.

As for the aptasia, I would get rid of it. However, there are a couple of people that I have heard about that use an "aptasia filter" like a refugium that is full of aptasia. To each their own. I would use a "xenia filter" instead. It still grows like a weed but does not sting anything in the tank. And when you want to export the nutrients the xenia is worth a little bit at the LFS. If you got any xenia, throw it back there to help out the filtration. :)

dsoz