38 Gallon Setup

bswe22

I am starting to set up a new tank. (clap) I have a 38 gallon tank on a black stand. There is not much room inside the stand to put anything. I can barely fit a 10 gallon tank. I want to know what would be better to have, a 10 gallon sump or a 10 gallon refugium? (scratch) I was going to use an Aqua Clear 110 for a little refugium off the back of the tank but it won't fit under the light fixture I have for this tank. What is the best choice for a reef tank?

Thanks

Bryan

What all would you be hoping to accomplish with your sump if you ran it? I would think that you could run a refugium and chamber off a small section for your return pump and heater, and then if it were me I would look into getting a HOB skimmer.

Would you hang the skimmer on the back of the refugium or the main tank? I have never set up a larger tank on a stand. All I have is a 20 gallon tank that sits on the counter. That is why I am asking. The other question is should I do hard plumbing with PVC os just use hose?

Thanks

Bryan

I think it might come down to personal preferance. I personally dont thing a refugium has that many benefits if you have enough rock and life in the display. A sump will let you have a skimmer, return pump, ATO, heater, maybe a small clump of chaeto if you desire. A sump can make WC's easier also. I like a sump so that you dont have all the equipment showing. Also it allows for more return and flow. Possibly eliminating one of your powerheads. Keep a healthy maintained tank and you wont need a fuge.

I have decided to go with a sump. What is the best way to plumb it? Drill holes in the tank and hard plumb it or should I just use tubing? The other question is how big of a return pump do I need? Do I want a external pump or a submersible pump? Is there some kind of formula to figure out the pump size needed? I will have many more questions to come.

Thanks

Bryan

Bryan-

You are welcome to swing by my place and check out my sump/tank setup. I can show you examples of all your questions and we can talk through what you need. I can also show you flow curves on pumps and we can work out what pump would be best for you. Let me know if youre interested.