Need Glass Pieces/Scrap Eugene

Algae

I cut a bunch of glass with a rotozip, I have only a few words of advice... First lots and lots of water. You can use plumbers putty and make a bowl around hole but my experience is forget it... use a hose outside and get a nice trickle of water going and make sure it is hitting the place your cutting. YOU WILL HAVE TO HAVE SOMEONE DIRECT THE WATER TO THE BIT. The second the water is not on the bit you will hear a sound pitch change and thicker glass (1/2"-3/4") will start to swell. This means its to hot. Make sure you use the ceramic bit, it cuts like butter. After your done relube your rotozip bearings as the water will take its toll if you don't.

Thanks Nyles,

When Miles first mentioned cooling the bit I didn't quite realize the importance. I've cut holes before with a diamond hole saw on glass. It seemed that the main importance with using water with hole saws was to remove debris and keep the bit clean. After all, you are not cutting as much as grinding. With the 15-30k rpm of a Rotozip I can now understand the heat build up issue. To think of glass swelling gives one caution!

I cut a bunch of glass with a rotozip' date=' I have only a few words of advice... First lots and lots of water. You can use plumbers putty and make a bowl around hole but my experience is forget it... use a hose outside and get a nice trickle of water going and make sure it is hitting the place your cutting. YOU WILL HAVE TO HAVE SOMEONE DIRECT THE WATER TO THE BIT. The second the water is not on the bit you will hear a sound pitch change and thicker glass (1/2"-3/4") will start to swell. This means its to hot. Make sure you use the ceramic bit, it cuts like butter. After your done relube your rotozip bearings as the water will take its toll if you don't.[/quote']

Franklin give Abee windows a call, ask for Billy Vendetti 541-689-5493. Tell him Miles Dodge gave you his #. I bet he'll hook you up with some scraps. Really good guy to deal with. They are just down on River Ave across from the sewage plant.

Thanks! Don't wanna mess this up!

Franklin give Abee windows a call' date=' ask for Billy Vendetti 541-689-5493. Tell him Miles Dodge gave you his #. I bet he'll hook you up with some scraps. Really good guy to deal with. They are just down on River Ave across from the sewage plant.[/quote']

Good idea! Since I was concerned about a insertion into the cut and restarting from a existing cut I had thought a continious cut might be better. But since I will use a template/guide it might not be the issue I anticipated.

Also as a side note' date=' on thick stuff I will cut for 10-15 seconds one way and switch to the other side and back and fourth, this just helps let the heat dissipate.[/quote']