Ghost, Glass or Grass Shrimp..Anyone raising them successfully?

newfisher

I have several tanks and between the FOWLR and the seahorses I have wondered if raising live shrimp for food would or could be done? Has anyone done it, tried it, or is currently doing it? I purchased a seperate tank/system , but would like to hear the " reality " of it from those who do.

Thanks

Raising shrimp sucks. It is a lot of work. There canibals.

IME I kept the adults in a pool strainer wrapped in mesh, and had a decent amount of flow going through. When the babies were born (usually every couple weeks or so at first light) they would be blown out of the strainer before they could be a snack. Worked descently.

You have to keep similiar sized shrimp with each other, larger shrimp will eat smaller ones.

I did the green water thing for awhile because I had a lot of green water at the time and it worked alright.

I would do mysid shrimp not ghosts. Ghosts grow slower and don't reproduce as often IME, but that might have been something in my system. I used to keep several hundred ghosts at a time, never saw any fry.

If you want to start let me know and we can talk more. I still have the hook ups on the starter cultures as well. Cost is about $110 for a 1000 shrimp, including shipping.