Filter for a 38gal.

bswe22

I just picked up a 38 gallon tank and stand. I am going to set it up as a reef tank and wanted some advice on what to do for the filtration. Should I have a small sump, refugium or a HOB filter. The stand is kinda small. I do not think I could even get a 10 gallon tank in it. Any ideas? (scratch)

bswe, my suggestion is to pick up an Aquaclear HOB powerfilter, they're 110 is perfect, its the largest one they make. You then modify it into a refugium, and you now have a hang on the back refugium that will easily take care of your tank's filtration, especially working in conjunctuion with the live rock and sand in the tank itself.

bswe' date=' my suggestion is to pick up an Aquaclear HOB powerfilter, they're 110 is perfect, its the largest one they make. You then modify it into a refugium.[/quote']

This is what I have on my 36 bowfront. How to make it into a refugium? Put live rock in there? Think enough light gets through the top to put cheato in? What else can I toss in there that makes it a refugium? Currently it has a big sponge and some cylinder white rocks.

~Sorry for the hijack.

It will be just fine, if you lived closer, I'd actually give you one of the impellers I have, I have 2 AC30 impellers, which is perfect for the 110 as a fuge. They're like 5 bucks at MarineDepot.com I'm sure one of the local stores to you can order them in. The stock impeller has pretty good flow, which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but if you have a short tank, having the smaller impeller can keep sand storms to a minimum.