WTB Live Rock-Also Need Buckets

sharoleb

Hello,

My husband and I are trying to get our 75 going. Does anyone have any live rock for sale?

Also - we are thinking that for the start up we are going to buy the first batch of saltwater. Can anyone help us out as far as transferring the water? We have a truck, need buckets! We'd be happy to compensate you something if you have some to lend. (no frags - I have nothing grown out enough to frag.) Not planning on buying buckets unless we have to.

We live in West Linn, and plan on visiting Woody at Seahorse for the water. Anyone between those two places willing to help out?

Please let me know what you have, (live rock and/or buckets) and what you want for it. Pics for the live rock would be much appreciated. Thank you. :D

Believe me when I say this since I went through what you are thinking of doing. Don't buy the water!!!! I tried to fill a 220 Gallon tank when I set up my tank in November and it was waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much trouble even when the store was 15 minutes away. Just mix the water yourself. Believe me, after the first 2 or 3 trips, you'll really regret thinking of buying it. But that's just my opinion after trying to do the same thing. I ended up borrowing a RO/DI unit from Twitterbait here and mixing my own for the last 100 Gallons. I know it's a little worrisome starting off your first tank and you want to start it off right, but it really isn't that hard, plus you'll have to do it sooner or later. Might as well work out the bugs mixing stuff now while there isn't any livestock in there than to do it when there is. The worse you could do now is to make it too salty and it wouldn't hurt anything. I'm sure people here would be willing to lend you their RO/DI unit if you asked.

On another note, just because you buy the water doesn't make it better because the store you buy from might be using inferior salt which would cause you the same problems you were trying to avoid in the first place.

On another note' date=' just because you buy the water doesn't make it better because the store you buy from might be using inferior salt which would cause you the same problems you were trying to avoid in the first place.[/quote']

Very good point! I do have my own teeny weeny RO unit, I think it's 35gpd. I've had my 36 bowfront up since last May, and we have mixed all of our water for that one. (My tank is just so small all of a sudden! (laugh)) I use Kent, didn't think to ask what the store uses.

So - here's my new question: :D How on earth do you mix 100 gallons of water? As in - did you do it in 5 gallon buckets? Buy big plastic garbage bins? I wonder if my submersable pump would be big enough to mix for anything over 5 gallons...

Very good point! I do have my own teeny weeny RO unit, I think it's 35gpd. I've had my 36 bowfront up since last May, and we have mixed all of our water for that one. (My tank is just so small all of a sudden! (laugh)) I use Kent, didn't think to ask what the store uses.

So - here's my new question: :D How on earth do you mix 100 gallons of water? As in - did you do it in 5 gallon buckets? Buy big plastic garbage bins? I wonder if my submersable pump would be big enough to mix for anything over 5 gallons...

Yes, you could mix it in the tank if you haven't added the sand yet. If you've added the sand already, I don't think you would want to mix it in there since you would want a pump to agitate the water which would kick up a lot of sand and dust which might clog your pump.

I have a 32 Gallon trash can(I would suggest getting a 50 if you have the room) to store and mix the water in. I just use a old Rio 3200? pump I had laying around to mix the salt. I really don't think you need anything really powerful as a MAG-18 pump to mix water. A little overkill in my opinion. I'm thinking of doing more frequent and smaller water changes so I might mix it in my bucket in the future which wouldn't be too hard. I know markdadof2 does that.