RO/DI system and ATO advice

jgf86123

I'm looking for a small, 25gpd or less, RO/DI unit that I don't have to have mounted an permanently hooked up to a water supply. Basically, I'm looking for something that I can connect to my faucet in our bathroom and unhook when I'm done mixing water and filling up my ATO.

Any and all advice would be mucho appreciated.

Also, what would you guys recommend for an ATO? I'm not sure on how big of an ATO reservoir I'll have, but it's probably going to be roughly 30 gallons, maybe a little bit more than that.

TIA

I have found it fairly easy (meaning I could do it myself) to hook up a DI unit under the sink in the bathroom off of the cold water line. The unit can stay under the sink when not in use and is turned off with a ball valve. When I want to use it I run the hose to a bin in my tub and let it fill up. When I am done, it goes away again.

I have an adapter that screws onto the output of the faucet, but this has been easier for me.

JME

pledo, would you mind getting me a pic of that setup? I'm trying to keep the price to a minimum, which is why im going with such a small unit, a 10g water change for me would be more than 10% of my total tank water, and i figure on doing one of those a week lol.

so can you beat that 110 dollar price on the mighty mite? cause so far, its the best priced one ive found, thats small LOL

I think I'm $70 in for everything which is:

Di Unit

Tubing

3/8" splitter to john guest

john guest compression ball head.

I'll try to find my camera tomorrow if you need it. I just told the guy at HD I wanted to connect a refrigerator icemaker under my bathroom sink. The fridge uses the same size tubing as the input of my DI unit.

Search on eBay, there are some pretty reliable sellers there for some decent units. I got mine there for I want to say 85 shipped and it has been very reliable. Also you can tuck these up under a cabinet either bathroom or kitchen or even washroom quite easily and they don't have to be permanent. The problem with running such a small unit and keeping it portable is that it's not a quick change out, when they say 25 gallons a day they mean 24 hours. So even for just 10 gallons you are looking at keeping the sink occupied for 10 hours.

I think my system is a 100 gpd but I dont remember for sure. Ask Racefan, I sent him in the direction of the guy I got mine from and I think he said the price had went up a little.

I to only use a 3 stage purifier, micron, carbon and DI but we here in Portland metro area are blessed with exceptional water. I do think either air water and ice or the filter guy's have an adapter for under your sink with a ball valve on it but I cant remember witch one and it may have been bulk reef sup. to. I've seen several purifier's for sale here and on RC recently just keep your eye out, but then even with a good deal on a used one you would probably need to replace all the media and membrane so in the long run it would prob run ya the same to just buy a new one.

I do use one of that small units I bought from Upscales and it's working well since June.

I also live in the pdx metro and I had to change the pre-filter once. I'm running about 180 gallons with weekly 10% water change. I just added a DI unit recently. I'm really satisfied with the quality of the water