campgrounds

reef165

Dose anyone have a good campground they frequent? I like camping by lakes over river/streams and prefer not camping in overcrowded state parks! The girlfriend is looking to broaden our camping posabilities this summer and she's thinking of going to Fort Stevens. As fun as I remember that place being as a day trip, I've herd it compared to a dignity village.

Thanks, Ed

I grew up camping at Trillium lake, until they changed it to reserved camping then we stopped going cuz we couldn't get in. I went 2 summers ago and tried crawdading but while we went on a walk someone came by and raided the traps we set. they even took the bait then didn't bother throwing the trap back out. Made me angry!

Clear lake hu? Is it a big boating lake or a smaller peaceful lake? I do like the sound of hiking and waterfalls! will I be able to google it?

A lot will depend upon what type of camping you like. There are several forestry campgrounds on the clackamas river above Estacada that are either free or have low fees. Timothy Lake has the same variety around it and there are many many places where you can camp in the Mt. Hood National Forest simply by pitching a tent wherever you want. Tillamook State Forest has a lot of places for those that enjoy ATV's (small and large), some of these are near the Wilson River although you will either need to hunt for them or know someone that can show you where they are. (A lot of the land next to the Wilson River is private land rather than managed land) For campgrounds with more facilities similar to Fort Stevens there is McIver State Park (Near Estacada), Champoeg State Park (Are you into Wine Tasting?) near Newberg, Silver Falls State Park, and many others. Having traveled around the entire US pulling a travel trailer I can honestly say that Oregon and Washington have more camping and a greater variety of camping available than anywhere else. My suggestion would be to get your hands on a couple of the camping guides for the area (Or if you don't want to spend money check them out from the library). Then browse through them to pick out campgrounds that look like they may be what you like. Then on weekends take a day trip to each one to see if it looks acceptable. Keep in mind though you could spend the next 3 or 4 years doing this every weekend and still not get to all of them.

Clear lake is no motor. Very quiet lake and has some of the most clear blue water of anywhere around. The hiking trail around the lake is nice and takes you past one of the springs that feeds the lake. Bubbles right out of the ground. there is a lodge on one end with a restaruant and you can rent boats if you dont have one. I think the campground is called cold water cove camp ground.

Might I also recommend Elk Lake, Odell Lake lots of camping and great fishing,boat rentals,cabins. The lodge offers internet access,and lots of other stuff. Skiing,snow parks are also near by. Waldo Lake is another good choice. Silver Falls State Park is awesome in the spring!!!!!! Also Google Oregon State Parks. You will find tons of info there.

I went camping up on Mt St Helens last summer. I cant remember the name of the lake but it was either in cougar or just past it. I believe it's the only lake up there that hasn't band alcohol. was very nice! We went to the ape caves and did the upper cave and waw! I want to do that again!