Pregnant Bangaii Cardinal !!!!

Mikep503

We just noticed last night that my male Bangaii cardinal is carrying eggs in his mouth! It is very exciting to have my first pair of breeding fish. I am doing a lot of research on what to do now, looks like about 20 days before he will release the baby's. My only concern right now is removing the fish once they are born before someone eats them! Everything I have read so far says not to remove the parents from the tank or the dad will probably release the eggs during the stress. Thinking about removing the rest of my fish but worried this may also cause stress on my Bangaii. I will keep you guys updated during this process! (clap)

I have never been able to get the little ones out of the display, so they become live food. Mine reproduce probably 3 or 4 times a year that I notice, maybe more who knows. Let me know how you catch the little guys & what you feed them to keep them going. Good luck with the little specks.

Can they be sexed?

they are a fish that likes to school. The problem is getting more then one male' date=' they like to fight. I've kept just two together for years with no issues. In my opinion they are one of the easiest, most mild mannered, and neatest looking fish you can have.[/quote']

Congrats.... Bangaii's are one of the fish that I would like to raise someday but for now 2000ish clowns are close enough. Within the next week there should be sharp-nosed gobies added to the clownhouse :)

Bangaii's are virtually impossible to sex by the naked eye. If you have a known pair then one can be added at a time. If it is a female then all is good, if not the know male will act aggressive towards the other male. It is sometimes possible to tell them in a store if there is a group of bangaii's and 2 are hanging out together then they are probably a pair.

Congrats.... Bangaii's are one of the fish that I would like to raise someday but for now 2000ish clowns are close enough. Within the next week there should be sharp-nosed gobies added to the clownhouse :)

Bangaii's are virtually impossible to sex by the naked eye. If you have a known pair then one can be added at a time. If it is a female then all is good, if not the know male will act aggressive towards the other male. It is sometimes possible to tell them in a store if there is a group of bangaii's and 2 are hanging out together then they are probably a pair.

Ack! You've raised 2000 clowns? Amazing! Can you get that many sold to local stores? Is it net cost neutral (after you bought extra tanks ect)? I think it would be fun to raise fry again. I raised cichlids a decade ago. I really enjoyed that.

puntific

• 4 weeks later...

They can be sexed but it is nearly impossible to the naked eye. If you are interested in trying to raise them get the book "Breeders Guide to Marine Fishes" by Matt Wittenrich. It has some really good info for breeding bangaii's. You can also check out the MOFIB site. It is dedicated to breeding fish. www.marinbreeder.org there are dedicated forums for the bangaii's that you can read and ask questions. I know a gal in Utah that is incubating the eggs in a home made kriesel tank also. I find the link to that forum also. It is on the other computer that is shut off right now.

They are a fish that I have always wanted to breed because I think they are cool. I have tried to get several pairs but they have never worked out.

Dave