WTB 20g tall for ATO

finch6013

Have you thought about something other than a glass tank? There are lots of different size / shape rubbermaids or trash cans that could work. I use a plastic wrapping paper container. It is tall, but has a small footprint so it fits next to the sump under my stand. It holds about 12 gallons. I think it is around 9" x 12" x 30" tall. Plus it has a nice lid. Just something to ponder.

Something like that would work. I looked at a few places that sell rubbermaid totes and couldn't find a dimention that fit and was more than 10g. I have a 10g tank for that matter but I want more so I only have to fill about once a month. where did you get the container you have?

a quick question, and im sorry to hijack your thread like this, but, how exactly do you build a diy ato? im pretty interested in setting one up, that way i can buy a large quantity of RO/DI water from one of the LFS's i visit and use it, and only have to buy once a week or every other week.

thanks, and again, sorry for the hijack

mick

No prob. I use an ato switch from autotopoff.com. Place that in your sump or tank at the level you want to keep the water. this controlls a switch that controlls a plug in at the end of it that you can plug a powerhead in my case (maxijet) or pump with tubing that fills water into the sump or tank. I am using the container to hold water as the reservoir that the pump is in. Make sense? In my case I use 5g a week in top off so if I can get something that is 20g I would only fill it every 3-4 weeks.

Something like that would work. I looked at a few places that sell rubbermaid totes and couldn't find a dimention that fit and was more than 10g. I have a 10g tank for that matter but I want more so I only have to fill about once a month. where did you get the container you have?

I think we got ours at Fred Meyer. I have noticed that depending on the time of year, the rubbermaid selection changes quite a bit. The closer you get to Christmas, the more that is available. Try Home Depot or Lowes as well. I like to look in the closet storage area and also at trash cans. There are lots of smaller trash can options. They are cheap, so you could probably buy 2 and plumb them together if you couldnt find the exact size you need.

that is ingenious' date=' ill have to eventually incorporate that into my build for my frag tank, thanks finch[/quote']

the ato switches from the site I referenced are about the best bang for your buck. Get the one with the secondary switch for overflow protection. I am glad that I did once when I did something stupid that caused it to fill the tank up to the brim.