I need a 3/4 inch check valve today!!!

CA2OR

Yah its a mechanical device. Just a flap that closes to block water from traveling backwards down the pipe. That can become stuck pretty easy and either stay open, closed or not open back up. Its really like a pump in your tank which you clean regularly to keep it running optimally.

THIS WORK FOR ME IN MY MAIN TANK I HAVE 2 RETURN PORTS. THEY ARE ABOUT 4 INCHS BELOW THE WATER LEVEL AND THE ENDS OF THE PORTS ARE ABOUT 7 INCHS BELOW THE WATER LEVEL. I HAVE DRILLED A 1/8 HOLE AT THE UPPER END OF THE PORTS SO WHEN THE WATER LEVEL DROPS DOWN TO 4 INCHS IT SUCKS THE AIR IN AND LOSSES ITS PRIM AND STOPS THE WATER FLOW. I ALSO DRILL THE HOLES AT THE UNDER SIDE SO THE FLOWS TRAVELS THROUGH THE BACK OF MY TANK. WHEN THE PUMP IS RUNNING.

interesting....I actually picked one up at Lowes but had the worst time getting all the fittings to make it work. I am interested in changing this out and removing the hose as much as possible. I hear going all PVC is better. Plus I have been thinking of putting a split in my return line (kinda like a loop) where one side goes through the check valve and the other side goes through a ball valve that I can turn off. Reason being is when my pump gets clogged with cheato, which happens more often that you know, I simply turn off the power to the pump and the reverse flow blows all the junk out into a filter sock I hold at the other end. I figure with the ball valve I can do the same thing and bypass the check valve by opening the ball valve for the reverse flow. Just gotta remember to close it after.

Having all PCV isn't necessarily better. It looks better but it requires sharper angles which reduces flow. With hoses the angles are usually much softer with less effect on the flow. Personally I use all PCV for the drains and hoses for the return lines. Just be sure any clear tubing is covered with duct tape or something to keep algae from growing inside it.

hmm....what about my "loop" idea? Any problems with that? I can do that with a couple "Y" splitters and hose. I do think a stronger return pump wouldn't hurt.

Sounded more like what I would call a bypass section. Nothing I can see wrong with it. Make the plumbing work for you rather than the other way around.