Sand Sifting fish question

CA2OR

Are there any sand sifting fish that don't jump? I had a diamond jump out a couple days ago, yes the dinosaur is gone, and ordered a watchmen but it jumped out at the store before I could get him. So what should I do? Keeping my sand clean is important to me and more so my wife.

I think all fish will jump if giving the right oppurtunity. That being said, I can give you a run down of my experiences.

Dragon goby. Awesome sand cleaner but kinda messy. Have one in my 55 FO tank. Hes been in there close to a year and never jumped.

Diamond goby. Brought a large one home that was a freak at the LFS. He jumped in a day. Have a smaller one in my 180 and he has never swam more than a few inches off the sand bed and does a great job.

Neon headed sleeper gobies. Did not know any better but bought a pair. Both slowly starved to death and just made a mess out of the sand. I have heard that a lot from different folks, but there are some that were able to get them to eat quite well.

Honestly my Diamond goby in the 180 does the best job out of all of them. He even finds the few dead spots and goes and gorges himself.

Diamond gobies definately do the best job in my experience. I have had one or two jump but for the most part they tend to do pretty well. Most gobys and wrasse can jump by reputation but I have had fairly good luck and only had a few jump on me. Tile gobys on the other hand... lol many of them have jumped and are hard to get to eat.

Engineer gobies' date=' they look like eels and do a great job of tunneling. Fun to watch and I have never seem mine more that 2 -4 inchs off the sand bed. I have a pair of them and they stick together really well.[/quote']

Those guys are awesome but just make sure that you have a really nice and secure aquascape. Over time they will cause rocks to tumble down if they are not secure. I had a 16"er or so in my 90g a few years back. Fun fish and very docile. They are great in small communities.

I have 4 of them up for grabs too if someoen wants to try them out.

The Pink and Blue spotted watchmen gobies are pretty much just big poopers. They don't do very much if any sand sifting and really are just cool because of their colors. Not much of a cleaner.

Will they coexist with a diamond or dragon goby in a 125g display? I picked one up that's big enough that my eel will have a hard time eating it (4-5 inches) but if it doesn't shift the sand I'm going to want to get something else that does.

Will they coexist with a diamond or dragon goby in a 125g display? I picked one up that's big enough that my eel will have a hard time eating it (4-5 inches) but if it doesn't shift the sand I'm going to want to get something else that does.

I have never had a problem keeping several gobies in a tank. I definatley don't think it will be a problem and would give it a go myself.

I had a blue spotted gobie, I was told that it was a good sand sifter. Not once did I see if sift. I did however watch it make short work of every thing that would fit in its mouth including cleaner shrimp as I watched! He was gone in short order.

Beckie