Tried to cook my tank last night

theJenchild

I was gone all day, checked temps (77.5) and topped off in the morning around 6am before I left. When I got home at around 9:30PM, the tank was at 88.7. OMG!! Apparently my heater decided to die, but when it did so it just decided to stay stuck on. It was the heater that came with my tank, and I just hadn't switched it out to the stealth that I have yet. I unplugged and let it sit all night with some ice packs wrapped in ziplock bags. This morning it had returned to a reasonable 78.6, and it still falling. So far it looks like I only lost a couple of snails, although most of my corals are still looking a little angry. The clam is happy and extended, the fungia are alive and extended, and all the fish lived. No word yet on the shrimp, but the hermits are out and eating the dead snails. Wow that sucked!

Hmmmm, I may have to look into this controller concept. I like that my tank has some swing in temps though, I think that it makes my critters hardier and thus they tend to do better when disaster strikes. So far I have not noticed any deaths except a couple of snails that were recent additions to my tank and were likely a little stressed from that move. I attribute that to the continuous shifting in temps that my tank experiences. I try to keep it pretty stable, but it swings a couple degrees in either direction through the course of an average week. When it got super hot, my tank got up to 82-83 with little problems. It also gets down to 74-75 at night. I generally don't worry....but 88.7 was a little toasty for the poor guys!

I have to use a heater on my tanks, even to keep the tank at 65F, I need a heater much of the year. I like my house on the cool side, I also like fresh air, if it's snowing my window is still open.

To ward off disasters with heaters getting stuck on instead of using one heater to heat the tank, I use two small ones. It would take quite a bit longer for the small heater to cook my tank like that, if it is even possible, and hopefully by that point I would have noticed.

I have never had a heater get stuck on, I have been shocked by one once, but I have had the same ebo jaeger for 8+ years now.

JME