Custom Frag Tank & Display Tank Builds

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

rick, this is a [language filter] nice set up, i might just have to enlist your help when i start building mine, my frag tank for sure is going to be acrylic, simply because it is a frag tank, and with the design im using, acrylic does work the best, but, im not so convinced on acrylic or glass for the DT

thanks for giving me the heads up to this

I was just curious' date=' the return pipes look like there abought halfway deep into the tank, when ya turn off the pump or loose power, whare dose all the water in the tank end up?[/quote']

I assume your talking about the tank for Benny? He is going to use a check valve. (His choice, not mine) Mine is set up so it doesn't need one.

Ya I was talkingt of Benny's. It looks good, I was just curious. It looks as if you feel the same way but IMO I wouldnt bet my reef on check valves working when they should! The gunk that builds up on the inside of saltwater plumbing, could cause the check valve to fail.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I haven't been here respond lately due to some family issues. I haven't had the time to setup the new tank yet. It's currently sitting in my gargage, well at least I know I have it :-)

My current tank that I am having has check valve and I clean it whenever I vacuum all the debris inside the sump monthly and it seem to do the job. Plus right now I am thinking about having a closed loop system, those two return line and four more on top of tha. I dont think I want to see any powerhead inside the display. I tried to place the vortech MP20 on one of the side and it doesn't look right. It look too big and bulky inside the tank.

That is very cool. I like it alot. I have actually been secretly designing a new tank myself with a similar "hide the features" mentality. I will admit my opinion of check valves has changed dramaticly for the worst. I would maybe consider flap valves but that is about it. I will be shooting to avoid valves all together.