My 100 gallon reef....1st build start date 9-12-09

Logical1

Okay so now I have an ample amount of LR placed in the tank and just completed my first week of many while the water cycles. Im totally sold on the rock formation, but I did take some time to do it (believe it or not).

my hitch hikers that I have found to date are

1 emerald crab (just molted 2 days ago) and (2) snails...I think theyre turbo's but look pretty small to be sure yet.

water is looking good and Im starting to see some brown algea forming on the overflow. here is the pics I have so far.

If anyone has some ideas on stacking or arrangments I open to critique

Enjoy.

th_P9190121.jpg

th_P9190122.jpg

th_P9190124.jpg

age.png

aquascaping is really a matter of opinion. If you like it and it works for coral placement then its good enough. many people including myselft dont like the rock wall look. It not only can present a challenge for coral placement, but it doesn't really have a focal point. You might try splitting it and creating two islands or a valley in the middle. Also staying away from the wall formation if possible can make more places for coral and caves for fish. I find tanks that are visially apealing avoid being symetrical and have alot of shape to them. Just my opinion though. Dont let anyone tell you what looks good and what doesn't, they wont be looking at the tank every day.

I see nothing wrong with it. The biggest thing is YOU NEED TO BE HAPPY WITH IT!

One thing I would suggest and this is difficult in narrow tanks. Is to stay away from the straight up and down rock wall. It limits your coral placement. As corals get bigger they will shade the lower ones.

My only suggestion is try to create a cave or two. At least an overhang for fish to hide/shelter themselve when they want.

Just make sure you like it! You have to live with it!

click the link at the bottom that says my tank thread. Its my old 75g and I used the two island technique. I could have done a little better and avoided them looking like two mounds of rock but I was working with what little rock I had. I find that large rocks are easier to aquascape with as they dont fit together well and avoid making a tight packed pile of rock.

Your aquascape looks great as is provided you like it. (I'm repeating the others above here)

A few tips I've found in the short time I've been in the hobby.

1: Try to get some open space on the sand. If you don't then the aquarium just looks like a pile of rocks.

2: Try to get as many hiding places as possible for the fish. By doing so you will get to see the fish more. (Sounds backwards but it is the way it works as the fish feel more secure)

3: Try to get some flat spots around the mid point to top 1/3 of the tank for placing corals.

4: Try to get the bottom rocks resting on the bottom of the aquarium. This will avoid rock slides later when sand burrowing creatures dig under them.

5: Focus on the outer 1/3 of each side of the tank. People tend to focus on one side or another.

6: Don't be afraid to break things up a bit. Think about islands, columns, caves, etc.

Check my link below for a few ideas if you want. I'm by no means any kind of expert but you may see something to give you some ideas. In the end what matters is that you like it and the inhabitants are happy with it.

Thanks guys for the input thats what I was loking for and I knew rick and finch would for sure give me something to work with, and thank michael also. I know I have to live with it, but if I take some of this and some of that from everyone it helps get an idea of more people like to see and helps me broaden my ever narrow minded perception that everyone likes what I like...LOL thanks and I will update after the I do some fixing....I still have like 3 weeks before I get seriouse about inhabitants.