Staining a stand question

gradth

So im finally finishing my stand but I have a few questions.

How many coats of stain should you put on?

How much varathane should you put on?

Im more or less skinning my stand, piecing things together and trying to stain it as I go. Just curious if there is a set amount of stain I should use?

Most stains should be upplied with as much as the wood will hold and then wiped off with in about one min. If it starts to dry on you just wet it up with more stain and rub the dry lines out. O and one coat of stain is all that is needed, unless your doing glazing or dying.

Varathane is a little funner. first coat brush or spray on some what thin. After it dry's sand with about 150 or 180 sandpaper or sand pad. Next coat if brushing, go with the grain and alway move away from the stuff you just put down, as to not brush into drying coats and get whats called pulling. Sand again with about 180 to 220 sand paper then aply third coat. If it still not to your likeing lightly sand again and do another coat.

Just remember that Varathane takes a wile to dry and should be left in a spot that dosent have alot of dust around to fall into it as it dry's

If you have any questions PM or give a number and we can talk more.

Steve

I am lazy so I wouldent do the parts you can't see less I had the time. Or unless you think there will be water getting on there once a week or so.

Spray= thiner coats, more convenient and overspray, drys faster, getto spray skills

Brushing= thicker coats, brush cleanup, slower drying, little skill with a brush

Both can get runs in different places

spraying= cross sprying areas and stops and starts

brushing= inside corners and areas where the brush is scraped clean by sharp edges.

All else fails sand and do again