Chrome Eggcrate = More Light

Rick

I just went out and bought some chrome eggcrate to put over my 125g tank so I could put my eel in there to keep it from jumping. I got the chrome because I figured it would help keep from diffusing the light too much. What I didn't expect is that it actually is helping to focus the light and increased the lighting in the top half of the tank. Just thought I would toss that out there for anyone that doesn't have a hood over their tank that wants to cover it up but is afraid of losing light because of it. I'll try to get a couple of pics later of what it looks like both ways.

Isn't that chrome just a covering that could flake off? I would be worried about it falling in my tank.

I'm not worried about it at all.

Better check some of the other stuff already hanging over your tank. Chances are pretty high your light reflectors are chrome plated (Most are) which is even worse of an issue with metals than plastics. (Metal is more likely to corrode causing flaking than plastic is)

Some are stainless steel as well. Most are going to be plated sheetmetal though.

Aluminum comes with it's own set of problems. Especially around saltwater.

I just don't think there is really anything to worry about. If it starts to bubble up as though it's going to start flaking then I'll replace it although I doubt it will.

All eggcrate focuses the light downward. That is what its designed to do, so you don't get any light going out of the sides of the fixture in offices and such.

I never thought of it, but the chrome would help reflect light as well. Seems it would help put stray light back to the tank.

Good idea Rick! I might pick up a piece and compare the 2 halves of my tank.

Rick, I was faced with a similar dilemna when I purchased my eel. I needed to put eggcrate on the lid, but didn't want to lose light. I found a way to seal the lid without putting eggcrate below the lights. Here's what I ended up doing: (Although this will obviously only work with a canopy)

DSCN0761.jpg

DSCN0760.jpg

At this point I don't plan to put a canopy on my tank. After making a couple of Stainless Steel hangers up and hanging my pendants my wife and me both decided we like the open top better. She likes the retro look and I like having easy accesss to the tank. Besides that they are the nicest hangers that can be found (IMO anyway) so it would be a shame to take them back off.;)