finch6013's 34g solana build

finch6013

my wife does not know how much the vortech costs. She thinks its just a cool power head. (and it is). and I told her that the solana skimmer is way cheaper than the skimmer I had on the 75g ( and it is) but what she doesn't know is that I paid alot for that skimmer so being cheaper doesn't mean alot.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my wife does not know how much the vortech costs. She thinks its just a cool power head. (and it is). and I told her that the solana skimmer is way cheaper than the skimmer I had on the 75g ( and it is) but what she doesn't know is that I paid alot for that skimmer so being cheaper doesn't mean alot.

real smooth brandon ;) haha

i have about $3300 into my solana lol (rock2)

sounds about right, my tank was 30 dollars at petco on the dollar per gallon sale... but I'm not seeing anything expensive in your build yet, at least noghting that adds up that high, you are masking it well... I need pointers to keep my wife from noticing the new cube. I am trying to figure out how to build the stand so she cant see the ap 701

I might try raising mine up a bit. Its about 4'' from the water line. I like the wave on short pulse mode but the pump sound gets a little annoying. I kind of like reef crest although the sps really dont need a break in the current so i dono. I am sure my mode will change often for some time to come.

sounds about right' date=' my tank was 30 dollars at petco on the dollar per gallon sale... but I'm not seeing anything expensive in your build yet, at least noghting that adds up that high, you are masking it well... I need pointers to keep my wife from noticing the new cube. I am trying to figure out how to build the stand so she cant see the ap 701[/quote']

well its with all the gadgets and livestock...i paid like 300 for my tank too, wish i got it for 34 at petco though lol

wow you have an ap701 in a 30g tank?

I might try raising mine up a bit. Its about 4'' from the water line. I like the wave on short pulse mode but the pump sound gets a little annoying. I kind of like reef crest although the sps really dont need a break in the current so i dono. I am sure my mode will change often for some time to come.

yeah raise it up an inch or two and that will give a little better wave too..yeah the sound does get a little annoying but thats heard when the pump is on high..i contacted vortech about that and they said it should get better in a month, the break in period..and if not, to send it in and they will replace it or look at it and fix it. i also use night mode so its quite when i go to sleep lol

well the mode is up to you. everybody has a different mode they run on

so the tank has had some updates lately. I added a purple cap, a german blue polyp purple digi, and another small blue acro. The light blue one that I got not long ago seems to be getting RTN(sad). Added two new fish. We got some small percs from barelycuda that seem to be happy swimming in the waves from the mp10.

I added some new gadgets like the vortech MP10, a dual switch ATO from autotopoff.com, and my saphire aquatics skimmer should be on the way if they will ever hurry up and ship it. Kyle at saphire said they have been swamped with orders and have been pumping out skimmers as fast as they can.

I will update with some pics some day soon.

No ship date on the skimmer yet.

the cap is probably 4'' and the digi is about three with 5 branches.

I dono why its getting RTN. Water is fine, I have been testing every other day since its still a new tank. I just pulled it out since they almost never live through RTN and I have heard of it spreading. I would rather lose a $10 frag then lose half the tank.

I got them from upscales. he made frags for me and there was alot left of both colonies. Also he broke a few accidental frags of the digi at the same time so they might have some ready to go. This was last weekend.

No GFO. I was using carbon for the first few weeks but just took it out a few days ago.

using an old maxi 600 I had laying around. 5/8 tubing fits it perfect so I ran from the pump and stuck it in the overflow.

yup thats exactly what im doing with mine too :)

i think mines a mj900 or could be 600, cant remember and then it goes right into the overflow

im thinking of getting a different pump, maybe like a aqualifter or something so when the ATO turns on, it doesn't rush so much water into there before the float turns off