maxima clam question

finch6013

My maxima that I have had for a few months has literally been happier than a clam. Good mantal extention, color and even a little growth.

Question is, it has not opened all day and nothing in the tank has changed and perams seem to be fine. everything else in the tank is happy as well.

Is this normal for them to not open much for a day or so?

Last night while feeding some rods food it closed on a small chunk that landed inside its mantel. Maybe that has something to do with it.

something must have gotten to it because I just decided to see if it was attached, and it wasn't. So next I looked inside and it was almost empy. Critters cleaned it out overnight. Calcium is a tiny bit low 380ppm and alk is at 9dkh. Normally I keep 400ppm and 10dkh but I dose so its hard to stay perfect.

I guess maybe a critter got it

Bummer! Might be too late, but can't hurt to see if there were pyramid snails down by the byssal threads. Little white snails shaped like... you guessed it... a pyramid! Seems kinda unlikely if you have had it for a while with no problem, but if there are any there, they'll go after new clams you put in.

I have not noticed anything like that in my tank or when I opened the shell to see what was left of it. When I did open it there was barely anything left and there was a few pods in there. I just opened it up and left it on the bottom. Within a few hours the snails and hermits had it cleaned out. Crazy how fast those little guys work.