Grounding Probe

c24

Grounding Probe  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

If there is stray voltage then checking between the tank water and ground should detect it unless it is less than the digital ohmeter will even detect. My ohmmeter detects 0.1 volts of stray voltage in the air. I.E. Static Electricity. It also reads 1.7 volts from me as well.

For my test.

First I checked the outlet I plan to use if I need a ground probe to be sure the ground was really there. (I would do this if you hook up a ground probe anyway to be sure it is actually doing something) To check this I simply set the ohmmeter to check ac voltage and then checked between the outlet screw and the smaller flat outlet receptacle. This should read 110 to 120 volts. (Mine was a little over 115v) this verified the receptacle was actually wired properly with a good ground. Next I added a chunk of wire from the outlet screw that would reach the tank with a little extra to use for the probe if needed. I again verified the voltage using this wire. The last test was to check between the ground wire I added and the tank water for any voltage. The result of my test was a reading of 0.1 volts. Note that there was also 0.1 volts in the air as well so there was no change from the air to the tank water. I think I'm safe without the probe for now unless something shorts out. I am not recommending others to not use one. I will just hold off until I can get the titanium rod from the welding supply and then add it. (Everything is there except the rod now anyway)

It may be worth noting that others have used the same test and have found stray voltage before adding a probe. (A quick Internet search turned it up)

Thanks for posting that. That describes what I have been trying to say pretty clearly. That is why I feel that the probe is not a needed thing based on electrical fact and theory. On job sites I have been in direct contact with 5000 volt wires without getting shocked. Same thing with a tank. Voltage can only be felt when a direct path to ground IE the ground probe which creates current.

Well that clears up the question I had eating at me. I.E. It seemed to me that adding a direct path to ground would create a potential to shock both me and the fish that would not otherwise exist. Based on the same theory (Which seems to be based on the same electrical theory I've studied) I think it would take at least 2 open wires in the tank before a potential for a shock can exist. (A probe would count as one of the 2 wires)

The GFCI will not trip if the device that starts leaking voltage is only a 2 wire device ( ie. powerhead or heater and the stray voltage is low enough). I have troubleshot a couple of tanks that people claimed to have been getting shocked with a GFCI present. In both instances a power head was the culprit and a grounding probe was not used.

Not so fast Rick.... We all know that saltwater is conductive. When a device starts to fail or leak voltage it will send out a voltage gradient in the water. This acts similar to a rock being dropped into the water and rings extending out from the source. These rings create a difference of potential in regards to voltage. Fish and other organisms can be effected by these voltages. So, if a grounding probe was used the stray voltages would have a path back to ground.

Not so fast Rick.... We all know that saltwater is conductive. When a device starts to fail or leak voltage it will send out a voltage gradient in the water. This acts similar to a rock being dropped into the water and rings extending out from the source. These rings create a difference of potential in regards to voltage. Fish and other organisms can be effected by these voltages. So' date=' if a grounding probe was used the stray voltages would have a path back to ground.[/quote']

totally agree but it wont remove the voltages from being in the water. It still has to travel a distance wouldn't it?

Not so fast Rick.... We all know that saltwater is conductive. When a device starts to fail or leak voltage it will send out a voltage gradient in the water. This acts similar to a rock being dropped into the water and rings extending out from the source. These rings create a difference of potential in regards to voltage. Fish and other organisms can be effected by these voltages. So' date=' if a grounding probe was used the stray voltages would have a path back to ground.[/quote']

Did you read the article in the link posted? I would like to see arguments address the statements in the article specifically along with sound theory to back up said arguments. (I believe the article is already based on sound electrical theory)

I checked and had stray voltage in both my tanks .....not alot...nothing I would say was

" dangerous " to people ....but it was there......I droped a grounding probe in and it instantly was gone ....played back and forth with it ....there....gone....there....gone

For the price .....I installed in both tanks....my theory was I might not feel it...but maybe they do. and for 15.00...was worth the piece of mind JMO :)

For the price .....I installed in both tanks....my theory was I might not feel it...but maybe they do. and for 15.00...was worth the piece of mind JMO :)

I couldn't agree more. I have seen fisrt hand what a difference a grounding probe has made and to me its worth the $15-$20 bucks.

I had an ebo jager glass heater on my tank and i know it was leaking voltage. Water was inside the thing and every time i touched the water i got a little zap. I never really thought twice about replacing it, it did the job and didn't effect any of my corals or fish. After about 6 months of getting zapped everytime i touched the water i finally replaced it.

So to answer the question no i don't use a grounding probe and don't plan to.