Rick's 40 Gallon (Nano Replacement) Build Thread

Rick

Here it is wound up through this piece of LR and is peaking out from behind the rock.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5396&stc=1&d=1248929075

It has decided to venture out a bit further here:

attachment.php?attachmentid=5397&stc=1&d=1248929075

Now it has decided to come out in the open, The trigger shows up in this pic as well.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5399&stc=1&d=1248929075

A little closer shot of it checking things out:

attachment.php?attachmentid=5398&stc=1&d=1248929075

post-5811-141867747167_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867747171_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867747174_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867747178_thumb.jpg

That eel is scary looking, I would never have any pet like that. My gf was checking out the corner tank at Seahorse. She loves the corner tank and she was standing there checking it out and here come the sea snake, she freak out and screamed so loud... her face all pale. The funny thing is no matter where she moved the sea snake follow her with it mouth open, which more scary looking creature.

Looking good! I love the new concept. That snowflake is a great looking fish as are all of the others in there. I like the idea of the rose bubble in the flower pot. You will probably have eggs in there before long if you havn't already :)

Garrett

No eggs yet however I was told they were laying them before I got them. I think it's been about 6 weeks now so we will see what happens this time around. (Might have made too many changes so they might not be settled yet)

That eel is scary looking' date=' I would never have any pet like that. My gf was checking out the corner tank at Seahorse. She loves the corner tank and she was standing there checking it out and here come the sea snake, she freak out and screamed so loud... her face all pale. The funny thing is no matter where she moved the sea snake follow her with it mouth open, which more scary looking creature.[/quote']

LOL, This one is much smaller than the one Woody has in the corner. In reality the trigger worries me more as it literally bites big chunks out of silversides. The big Orange Clown is also the only fish I have had draw blood.

I decided to give the trigger a silverside this evening (It eats them right out of my hand) and low and behold the eel started poking it's head out. I think the trigger got 3 or 4 bites out of it and the eel got the rest. Took it right out of my hand. The big clown tried to get a bite too. Only thing is it wasn't the silverside she was trying to bite.(laugh) I've decided to make her my new project. I'm going to have her eating out of my hand like my black and white clowns instead of trying to eat my hand. Or at least I'm going to try.

Todays Update. No pics right now but I may get one or two later.

First thing I did today was to make egg crate covers for the openings in the top of the tank. I really did this more to try to break up the intense lighting a bit but also it will help to keep the snowflake eel from escaping. Next I took a few scrap pieces of 1" PVC tubing and fittings and made a tunnel under the sand with 3 exits. No cutting required on this one, just started putting scraps together. I stuck this in the tank and buried it down to the bottom under sand. I then rearranged the Live Rock and added a few more pieces to pretty much hide the tunnel openings. The last thing I did I am still debating. I took my larhe Electric Blue Hermit from the 85 Gallon tank and put it back into this one. I'm hoping it is big enough the snowflake eel will leave it alone. Basically it was knocking over too many coral frags so I had to take it out. It was either this tank or the sump under the other one.

I also fed the eel a small piece of cocktail shrimp today. Now that I have established that it will eat frozen foods I'll hold off a couple of days since they should only be fed 2-3 times a week.

Another Update:

Over the weekend I made a couple of changes. First I swapped out the 400w ballast and bulb which I replaced with a 250w PFO ballast and a 20k bulb. I like the blue color from the 20k however it isn't bright enough for my taste. I'll try a 14k or 15k when I can get my hands on one. Until then this will work and the heat issue is gone now. The next change I made over the weekend was to swap out the skimmer for a little larger one that will be a little easier to control. It was minus the pump however I was able to scavenge the pump from the original one to replace it. I also added a Leather Devil's Hand Frag that I got from Saltinsax as well and moved my Maze Coral from the 85 gallon tank to this one. (My Jewel Damsel has been picking at it and it didn't seem too happy) The last thing I did over the weekend was to put some of the inverts in the tank (A few hermits and some snails) including the large electric blue hermit. Some of the smaller ones may become meals for the eel but the larger ones I think will be fine. There were two reasons for this. First is that the electric blue hermit cut a path right across my coral frags in the other tank knocking them into each other and the second is that I started seeing a bit of an algae bloom with nothing in the tank to take care of it.

I also made a couple of changes yesterday. I added a couple of pieces of live rock and a pagoda cup coral that I'm going to try to nurse back to health. The maze coral looks better now as well (Some of the damaged tissue has been shed and it has new in it's place).

The Eel peaking out of the PVC cave here. It spends most of it's time in the cave during the day. Pokes out when there is any activity in the tank and comes out if there is food in the water.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5470&stc=1&d=1249421075

The Leather Devil's Hand Frag

attachment.php?attachmentid=5472&stc=1&d=1249421075

A pic showing the size of the large electric blue hermit. This thing was in a shell less than 3/4" wide a few months ago. I think it's starting to outgrow this shell which is 1 3/4" or so wide. (I see it searching through the other shells for a bigger one)

attachment.php?attachmentid=5473&stc=1&d=1249421075

FTS showing the eel poking it's head out of one of the other cave holes on the left. (This one is hidden under the rocks) The LR and Pagoda Cup from the middle of the overflow to the right were added yesterday.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5474&stc=1&d=1249421075

Another FTS.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5475&stc=1&d=1249421075

post-5811-141867747271_thumb.jpg

post-5811-14186774728_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867747283_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867747286_thumb.jpg

post-5811-14186774729_thumb.jpg

Another quick update. I ripped the PVC Eel cave out and reworked it a bit. I picked up a 4' clear acrylic tube for protecting flourescent bulbs at Lowes (Less than $4). This I cut and assembled with parts from the first one to build a new see thru eel cave that runs across the front of the tank and down one side. From time to time you can watch the Eel going through from one side to the other. (Still has 3 entry points) Another change was to add a small pair of Orange Oscellaris I picked up last week from another member here. Originally I wasn't going to put them in this tank but I decided yesterday to give it a try. I was surprised when the large female I had in there already accepted them immediately and is actually protecting them. The tank is actually much less aggressive than I expected. The trigger and the eel both leave the fish alone and I even have a few snails and hermits in there that came in on the live rock that the eel has not bothered. The last change was to add a Lemon Peel Angel. Not really aggressive but it should be a lot easier to take care of than a Dwarf Lionfish which is what I was considering. (I decided on the Lemon Peel Angel instead)

attachment.php?attachmentid=5517&stc=1&d=1249716576

attachment.php?attachmentid=5518&stc=1&d=1249716576

post-5811-141867747619_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867747623_thumb.jpg