t8 4-lamp electronic ballasts with caps

vanz

I wish they were 40w. Were these from 48" lights? I may be interested in getting one anyway. If they were 40w I could rewire them (overdriven) to put out about 73 watts to 2 bulbs. With the 32w I think it would be around 60w each. Not as much as I was looking for but it may work. (I want to add some supplemental lighting) If I don't find anything else in a couple of weeks I'll probably see if you still have any left.

They were from 36" I believe. I don't know much about lights/ballast' date=' do you know if you could rewire them to run other than t8s?[/quote']

Yes. Just need to keep the wattage close to or less than whatever is required. I.E. Possibly 40w or less. Assuming they will start a 40 watt bulb then it can be overdriven for a brighter light by doubling the ballast. Basically it pulses twice as many times to increase the intensity. With losses the result is normally around 73 watts. With the lower wattage ballast I think it would be about 60 watts. (It would need to be checked to see if it will start the bulb first though) One use for it would be compact PC's over a nano tank. The ones I am running now are 24 watts (or one is anyway). I actually took the 28w ballast out of a spiral bulb and wired it in. It would be interesting to see if it will overdrive like the normal flourescent. (The 4 lamp ballast would power 2 over driven compact pcs) T5's would work without any changes since they use the same end caps. Not sure if T8's use the same end caps or not but other than matching the wattage you just need to have the right ends. (Generally you can run lower wattage bulbs without any problems but they may not start higher wattage ones)

T-8's and T-12's can use the same end caps. If I am not mistaken though t-5 end caps are not compatible with T-8's. The ballast listed above is a 4 lamp' date=' 4 ft. ,ballast.[/quote']

Thanks for the info! Now that I think about it, they were 4ft bulbs(laugh)

T-8's and T-12's can use the same end caps. If I am not mistaken though t-5 end caps are not compatible with T-8's. The ballast listed above is a 4 lamp' date=' 4 ft. ,ballast.[/quote']

T5 and T12 end caps are the same. The last shop light I bought even says both can be used on the box. T5HO may use a different connector.

Note: I confused t8 and t12 in the earlier post.