Lost my first fish

racefan

I lost my first fish last night(sad) I had a Baby Blue Hippo Tang(1" maybe) I've had him since 5/23,he's been doing fine,swimming fine,looking healthy,eating good.Then all of a sudden his color started to get a little lighter(just a little) & he was kind of lethargic & last night my wife & I went to buy a new car & when we came home he was a gonner!All parameters were fine,the only thing I've done was added a protein skimmer a couple weeks ago,but that shouldn't have any bearing on anything should it? We had gotten kind of attached to the little guy.

I am in the same boat with you! Lost both my baby tangs this week, wonder if we got them at the same place.... anyway... one passed during the night Sunday night and the other was fine last night and I came home from work about an hour ago and its gone! Water tested fine. I have had mine about 3-4 weeks and we will miss them both!

I feel your pain! Sorry you lost yours too!

What were you feeding them? The color fading is a sign that there may have been something missing from it's diet. I had this happen with a few of my fish (loss of color) until I started supplementing the food with vitamins. I.E. Every few days I feed them Mysis that has a few drops of vita chem soaked into it. I'm also more religeous about feeding them a larger variety of stuff. (At the time I was feeding them primarily pellets) After a week or so the color started returning and after a few weeks they all regained their vibrant coloring.

Tang's need veggies!!!! You can freeze some broccoli. It breaks down the cell structure. Then put a slice on a veggie clip. Being you 2 both got them about the same time does make me question the batch from the wholesaler. Almost sounds like cyanide poisoning.

JM2 cent's

impur-It was eating normally until Monday night then it was eating sporadically.Other fish & corals are fine.Car is a Hyundai Sonata limited with all the bells & whistles(for my wife & I get handed down her Durango)

tanktop-PM sent.

Rick- I was feeding a rotation of Mysis-Brine shrimp & rods food.It was eating like a pig for 2 months.

ccr-Does sound suspicious

What were you feeding them? The color fading is a sign that there may have been something missing from it's diet. I had this happen with a few of my fish (loss of color) until I started supplementing the food with vitamins. I.E. Every few days I feed them Mysis that has a few drops of vita chem soaked into it. I'm also more religeous about feeding them a larger variety of stuff. (At the time I was feeding them primarily pellets) After a week or so the color started returning and after a few weeks they all regained their vibrant coloring.

I also had been feeding a variety, brine shrimp, spirulina and brine shrimp, rods herbivore and hanging seaweed for mine. My food was soaked with vita Chem before feeding. Mine were in QT tank so they were getting all the food that I fed, eating like champs till the thier death. Very strange. I was told that I may never know why they died.

OMG... I have two of them disappear, I think they both are death too. I brought them home and aclimate them all night and I put them in my QT, all Sunday they were looking fine and I left it in the tank with 1 cleaner shrimp. Today I came home both of the fish disappear they both 1". :-( Found no death body or skeleton laying around. :-(

I also have problems with tangs. I have in my tank right now and doing great a hippo and a kole but I have had in the past 2 convict tangs, 2 mimic yellow tangs, 1 ebili mimic tang. I also don't know what is going on. Everything tests out ok. But yet don't know what to do. I would like to have one more tang in my tank but don't know what to get. Of those 5 mentions the convicts lasted the longest. I loved them!

• 1 month later...