water,what should it be

J & Jr

a quick question my water ithink is ok all in all Ph 8.1, Trites,Trates, Amonia 0.0,

Cal. 440is this to high? PO4 0.1 all of these have stayed the same preety much for the last 3 months

but the kh which started at10.2 has slowly worked its way down to 8.6 is this OK or should I be doing something? what do I do and where should it be(scratch)

Looks good although the PO4 might end up contributing to some algae. How old is the tank?

Calcium is right on, looks like you have something taking in alk. I would monitor alk daily and dose some baking soda to try and keep it around 8-9dKH. Continue to monitor it until you have a good dosing scheme down. I was dosing baking soda daily for 2 years!

The tank has been set up for about 3 yrs I got it about 4-5 months ago it was in bad shape,filthy and trates off the chart with water changes every 2 to 3 days for about 2 weeks it calmed down and has been stedy except for the KH, how much do you dose its a 55 gal tank

Its similar to baking soda. I was dosing about 2 teaspoons a day in my 29gal. But it is packed with corals. Start out with maybe 1/2 teaspoon and see how the alk reacts. You also need to keep track of your calcium, the 2 are directly affected. Keep a log for a few weeks, that has helped me out many times.

Also note that baking soda may slightly depress your pH. You can use something like Kent Superbuffer that will not depress pH, or you can spread the baking soda out on a baking sheet and cook it in the oven for an hour to drive off excess co2, now you have washing soda :)

Also note that baking soda may slightly depress your pH. You can use something like Kent Superbuffer that will not depress pH, or you can spread the baking soda out on a baking sheet and cook it in the oven for an hour to drive off excess co2, now you have washing soda :)

THAT is how you really want to use baking soda in your tank........NOT straight out of the box ;)

Personally i use Kent superbuffer, but im lazy. : )

thanks for the advise I could realy use the money on setting up the new 75gal its amasing how much it takes to set up a new tank right even if you make your own stand, sump /fuge hood and cabnets my wife asked me if I was starting a cabnet shop and did she get the first set(wife)