oil changes and hang overs

theJenchild

Just in case anyone was wondering....changing your oil for the first time on your own, with a massive hang over, in 97 degree heat is a fairly terrible idea. That said, I changed my own oil! Woot! I forgot to put the washer on the drain plug, so had to waste 4Q of brand new oil by draining it again and putting that on.....but its done and I did myself.

All of you dads with daughters, do them a favor. Teach them young how to work on cars, the learning curve is much steeper when you're starting out in your 20s.

Just a tip if you forget the washer again.Take your thumb & press against the drain hole in the oil pan while you put the washer on the drain plug one handed.

Now that's a really smart idea! I'll remember it, although I'm sorta hoping that I don't forget the washer again. Thanks!

gosh I woulda done it for some coral frags

LOL, there were folks who could have done it for me. But I'm kinda into self sufficiency and this is something that I've wanted to figure out for a while. So I finally went and bought some ramps. I think I may try to find a class on auto mechanics....seems there's alot that I may need some instruction on.

I hope your remembered to put some oil around the oil filter's rubber seal.

That I did do! Granted it was only because my brother called me while I was under the car to yell at me for not putting blocks behind the back tires. But he told me to do that, and to put some oil on the filter threads too.